Probably not an EU or Britain issue

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Lloyd

Probably not an EU or Britain issue

Post by Lloyd »

TWO dangerous reptiles on my property today -- a pygmy rattler right near the house, and 3-foot (1M) alligator deciding our front door was a target.

Both were dispatched as kindly as I could do, but the 'gator required a bit of effort (they're tough!).

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
richardh08
Site Admin

Re: Probably not an EU or Britain issue

Post by richardh08 »

I'm not sure how that post got tacked onto another existing topic, but I've moved it to a new thread.

And you are right; we don't see too many of either of those creatures around here.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I'm not sure I know, either. I thought I had created a new topic, but obviously I did not!

Thank you, sir.

Lloyd
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Gators are tuff as old boots for sure and it’s hard to hit that sweet spot on the back of the head so well done Lloyd on a successful eviction.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I'm impressed! Most folks don't even know there is a tender spot just aft of the skull!

Even striking there, it takes a swift, hard blow with something that's got a good edge on it. I keep a 1.7 m long sharpened garden 'root cutter' in the garage for just such purposes. I sharpened both the bottom and sides, so it can be used for a normal down-thrust, or swung like a long-handled ax, when I feel the need to keep some distance from a creature. An adult moccasin or diamondback rattlesnake can strike more than half their body length, and I've dealt with diamondbacks longer than 2 m in length.

Heh, I once fought-off a large female moccasin with nothing but my weed whacker. She was determined to get me, and didn't remit until I had darned-near skinned her entire head with the trimmer! Now I carry my shotshell pistol when working around our pond. :shock:

Lloyd
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Funny story a few years back I walked out the front door one day and something was off. Then I spotted a decent sized snake sunning in a privet at the front of the porch. While I’m not afraid of snakes all that much this house is only big enough for one of us.

I had an air soft rifle handy. One pop to the head and knocked clean out like the alligator trick. About 5-10 minutes later I was going to remove the critter not knowing it was just knocked out even though I was surprised the air soft rendered it lifeless.

I stepped out onto the little porch and started noticing the tongue starting to move. Well that required another pop. The second was a body shot and it slowly slithered away.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Yeah... they don't kill as easily as that. My 'airsoft' is a Taurus Judge with .410 shells in it! <grin>

Lloyd