Firing Systems

Here you can ask for advice, or even just post your favorite compositions + methods!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

sambo

Firing Systems

Post by sambo »

I might invest in a good quality firing system, rather than the self-made switch system I have at the moment ( not that until now it hasn't served me well ). There seems to be a myriad of choices and just about the only thing i seem to have decided on is going wireless. I've looked at cheap imports on ebay, coopermans offerings ( which are out of stock ) and even the way out of budget Cobra systems and now i'm just really confused. Is there a system out there that I can start small with e.g. say 20 cues and later add to it or upgrade and will give me future proofing and flexibility?

Are there any firm opinions out there ?
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Re: Firing Systems

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Not cheap Sam but he is just up the road from me http://wirelessfireworks.co.uk/20-cue-p ... ng-system/ I may get a discount for you.
Tyvole

Post by Tyvole »

PG, you say it's not cheap, but to me at least it seems pretty good for that money. I was going to suggest something Arduino-based and home-made, but for the sake of just over 200 quid, I wouldn't bother. I'm even tempted myself! From my own research, many of the 'cheaper' options require a multitude of slave boxes, all with a bunch of AA batteries - which would have to be new/freshly recharged for each show, meaning a relatively high maintenance overhead for the occasional firer. Just my opinion.
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"
sambo

Post by sambo »

it's a contender - do you reckon you can get a discount Ken ?
Tyvole

Post by Tyvole »

For another 30 quid, you can get a 32 cue system from them...
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I've got one of the 12 que systems from wireless, and it has performed
Very well with no problems.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Sambo,
Scott at Cobra prides his self on trying to remain future proof. I have one of the original Cobra Stryke 18 modules that performs flawlessly with the newest firmware. Granted you mentioned the price range is a bit steep. To be fair I only own Cobra so I'm probably partial.
sambo

Post by sambo »

Thanks Boophoenix. Maybe one day as they say. I'm thinking of putting my money into one of the systems from Wireless - just having to work to fund it !
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

I have a Cobra system (and, given the amount of use it gets, some might say more money than sense!). It is good, and I really like the future-proof philosophy that lies behind it.

The only complaint I could make is that I have found it to be a little heavy on battery usage, especially as a field unit needs 3 PP3 batteries. Up until now I've been using Duracell Plus Power, but I've just been told that Energiser Industrial are the best to use in these units. I'll be giving them a try real soon.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Richard, you should only be taxing the P1 battery if it sets powered up regularly. There is a sleep mode to help with this aspect if you've got a delay between setup and shoot. If it's fired a lot the 2 P2 batteries come into play then.

The Lipo might be worth looking into if you don't have to many modules. I've got one, but haven't ran it threw the ringer yet as just a hobbiest. I really don't burn threw many batteries either unless I leave a key on or something which just wipes out the P1 battery.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

I find that the Cobra software does a pretty good job regarding power management and I've never had a problem with the 1P (electronics) battery, or the batteries in the remote handset.

I can only speak for my own experience in saying that I have had the occasional ignition failure in cases where the 2P (firing cue) batteries, while not new, were still showing power levels well above the quoted minimum battery life readings. As you might expect, the failures happened more often with Talon igniters, which draw a lot more current, but I've also had the odd one with e-match.

From what I've been told, the reason could well be a question of the battery's internal resistance, which can vary a lot from brand to brand. Apparently, the type recommended to me can provide 2 to 3 times the short-circuit current compared with the ones I've been using up to now, and they are no more expensive. If necessary, I suppose I could consider LiPo rechargeables.

Time will tell. The problem is that, as I'm also a hobbyist, the system gets only occasional use, so my experiences are probably not typical of the majority of users.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Something really strange is I've had more failures the other way around that I can't attribute to my own errors. I've had more issues with matches than Talons. Unless like on a shoot I did not long at with a friend where Talons were used but mods were still in ematch mode. They tried to ignite, but couldn't make it threw the coating on a quality Visco.

I really need to find more excuses to put my Cobra to more practice use to have a solid opinion and dig deeper. My most recent shoot I had one failure, but it was certainly user error ( even Cobra won't fire of not connected, lol ) while we had two failures with a capacitive discharge system. So I think and have thought this some of the issues I have I can attribute to the matches themselves.

To be clear Richard the lipo I'm using is one of Cobra's design in the rechargeable module with a higher voltage. The rest of my modules are standard rung the 4.0 software.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Cobra is as close as an enthusiast will get to a pro system and I love mine. I have 36 cues plus a 10 stepper.

I use the standard pp3 battery solution and it is the only weakness but just make sure you use good quality rechargeables and keep a bunch spare and I've never had an issue.

The scripting on it is brilliant.

Just my 2 pence.
Cheers

Sparky
sambo

Post by sambo »

I've gone for the wireless system. Just waiting on delivery. I would love to own a Cobra system, but I think I should be sorted with what I have. One day......
sparky

Post by sparky »

sambo wrote:I've gone for the wireless system. Just waiting on delivery. I would love to own a Cobra system, but I think I should be sorted with what I have. One day......
Whatever you get I think remote firing adds a new and fantastic dimension to your own displays, no matter how small. You'll love it.

I think as Richard said, the Cobra is overkill for what I use it for and pretty unnecessary but I yielded to temptation lol. I hardly get to use it and even when I do I never really push its capability.
Cheers

Sparky
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

i have got one of the ones from china yes i do have to put AA battries in them but the 32 way system i think you can pick up for between £150 and £200 quid i mounted the 4 way recievers in a small tool box to make them 12 way and wired all 3 to a cheep 6v sla batterie it has the capeability to have a max of 1200ch and because of the frequency you can use a range of reciever that are on the market i have just ordered 3 24way recievers with rechargeable bateries with the aa bateries i have fired 8 ematches wired in series and you can do a few shows on each set of batteries
but at the end of the day you have to weigh up whATS BEST FOR YOU
Pyrotechnician If you see me running TRY and keep UP !!