Soluble Glutinous Rice Starch

Here you can ask for advice, or even just post your favorite compositions + methods!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

sambo

Soluble Glutinous Rice Starch

Post by sambo »

Anybody using this in place of dextrin. Personally i've never tried it but I understand it to be superior to dextrin. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it and their preferred method of making it or obtaining it ?
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Re: Soluble Glutinous Rice Starch

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I did supply SGRS to OB it was a good seller and it has the edge over Dextrin I have also used CMC (wall paper past) CMC works just as good as SGRS in fact I have found no noticeable difference between the two .
sambo

Post by sambo »

Ok thanks,

luckily I have CMC so I'll give that a shot.
GMetcalf

Post by GMetcalf »

A long time ago I had a crack at making some Soluble Glutinous Rice Starch and I have to admit I don't think the benefits of it over Dextrin are worth the extra hassle of production. But if you fancy an afternoon of cooking then here's the method I used:

1) Get some gluten rich rice. This is either Japanese sushi rice (can be found in the 'foods of the world' section of supermarkets) or you can use the Spanish Paella rice or Italian Risotto rice.
2) Boil the rice (without washing) until it starts to become mushy and fall apart. I found this took quite a while and quite a few top ups with water.
3) Put the gloopy rice 'porridge' into a blender and blend until it becomes a smooth paste.
4) Spread the paste evenly on a baking tray. I made it roughly 2-3mm thick.
5) Bake at around 160 degrees C until it starts to go a light brown colour (I have no idea how long this took but it wasn't dissimilar from baking Dextrin).
6) Once it appears cooked, take it out and break it into pieces then run it through a coffee grinder until it's a fine powder.
7) Use as required in any of your favourite star formulas!

As I said, it takes most of an afternoon so I prefer the simplicity of just baking cornflour to make Dextrin.
sambo

Post by sambo »

Awesome.

Thanks !
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Sam I can import SGRS with the tubes? Just a thought.
sambo

Post by sambo »

Then I would be keen ! - Yes Please