Shimmering stars /fast strobe

Here you can ask for advice, or even just post your favorite compositions + methods!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

pyrojig

Shimmering stars /fast strobe

Post by pyrojig »

I have been after a effect that Shimizu describes in his book as a shimmer. It is a very fast strobe ( AP ) based, and give the look of a "silver fishing lure being pulled through the water" .
The Comp I read says that for a white strobe
57.1 A-perchlorate
14.3 Ba-sulfate
4.8 potassium dichromate
23.8 Magnal (200mesh)
bound with 10% NC. Laq.

Now for a fast "Shimmer " He says replace the Ba-sulfate with Magnesium Sulfate (anhydrous) Epsom Salts baked at 200C for a hour or so.

Any one have experience or advise with creating this fast Shimmer effect ?
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Re: Shimmering stars /fast strobe

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I
I have some experience with this formula a few years back I was experimenting (as you do) with strobe effects, the formula you posted works very nice but one thing I found was the MG/AL mesh is critical to obtain the fishing lure effect if you say go to 100# then the strobe rate would be around 9.7 Hz still very nice, one thing and I know you know your stuff treat the MG/AL with the dichromate first, the rate of shimmer can be tweaked to a point with finer mesh MG/AL or courser, changing to Magnesium Sulphate for a faster strobe would make sense, nice post good to see you around.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Nice post a new one to try, I've got some ap thanks.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Looks like AP is available on eBay now! but at a price.
pyrojig

Post by pyrojig »

Thanks for the response's . Sorry I have not been around much. Life is busy , and I have had little time to dedicate to pyro.
I will try to post results on the strobe stars when I get to the shop to do some comp testing . I am not sure that the Magnal needs to be treated , more so it is the Mag that is the issue with AP. There where some stars that we made w/o the K-dichromate and they stored well , and did not degrade after a year.