A challenge.

Here you can ask for advice, or even just post your favorite compositions + methods!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

A challenge.

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I have been thinking of running a contest for some time and as the days are getting shorter I thought this would be a good time to put forward my challenge.

The challenge is simple produce a visible and recognisable letter or shape in the air IE: a letter of the alphabet or a star/heart/ snail/ cross/ whatever, there is no restrictions on the type of deployment be it a rocket mortar or comets discussions on techniques are welcome the prize for the winner is to be announced, for myself I will be using the 15mm tooling as I did some dam good smiley faces with it last week! Of course I am a non-runner in the competition.
:P
Tyvole

Re: A challenge.

Post by Tyvole »

As luck would have it, I've been doing this for some time now. All of my shells made with 6mm stars are painstakingly constructed with 31 stars to re-create the pattern of the constellation Draco. Unfortunately, mostly due to my poor standard of priming, sometimes only a handful of these stars actually ignite, making it a stretch of the imagination to see a recognisable pattern. As a result, to most casual observers, my shell bursts likely appear totally random and misshapen... ;)
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Hmmm well I would say knock up some coated rice hulls fill a hemi half full then paint your picture on that? Then possibly fill the other half with MCRH only and close off the shell, you may find a layer of tissue paper may come in handy to hold your pattern in place as you close it off.
Arran

Post by Arran »

I'm in. Will be a couple weeks...
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I can’t imagine what shape you’re going to produce Arran! :D
Tyvole

Post by Tyvole »

Pyro-Gear wrote:Hmmm well I would say knock up some coated rice hulls fill a hemi half full then paint your picture on that? Then possibly fill the other half with MCRH only and close off the shell, you may find a layer of tissue paper may come in handy to hold your pattern in place as you close it off.
Sounds like you've done this before... did you use different colour felt-tips for the stars? ;)
Joking aside, I'd like to have a go at this (with no high expectations, given my skill level and 2" limit). Don't know if I'll be able to compete exactly - it depends somewhat on the time frame, but don't wait around for my efforts. We are expecting some stay-over visitors, so I've had to 'hide' all my kit for a while! Metals in the sock drawer, tubes 'n' tools with the plant seeds... you get the picture!
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"