Tweaking Glitters

Here you can ask for advice, or even just post your favorite compositions + methods!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

sambo

Tweaking Glitters

Post by sambo »

I'm constructing Roman Candles which take a 23mm insert. These inserts are pressed glitter comets. I'm using D1 or Lloyd's buttered popcorn. My problem is this. Due to the constraints of the design it is very difficult for me to alter the dimensions of the comets. However, on very windy nights ( such as this evening ) some of them are leaving substantial fallout to the ground - partly they may need a bit extra drying time I suspect as everything is just so damp and sodden this year. But! I'm looking for suggestions on how I might tweak the burn speed to make them a bit quicker. I could use a more reactive charcoal, for example Picon, or would making them with BP base help as at the moment I make them from raw.

Any clever ideas?

thanks,
Sam.
sambo

Re: Tweaking Glitters

Post by sambo »

Likely these are just wet aren't they. As Ken will attest, I'm getting really hacked off with this wet UK weather this year. It's just one big flooded mud bath down here and my fireworks buildings keep leaking. Euch.

I need a really really low hygroscopicity glitter.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Sam,
"Buttered Popcorn" glitter was designed to the very purpose of not leaving fallout. It was designed for commercial theme park operations, where such is undesirable.

Except for the first six to eight feet of flight, that formula should not leave anything on the ground. If it does, I would (also, as you say) suspect it's not thoroughly dry.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
sambo

Post by sambo »

That's interesting. The tests tonight were with D1 but I pressed a batch of your glitter on the same day so I will try those in the candles.

thank you.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Sambo, you might classify the Al to check the mesh. I have a whole slew of -325 Al that easily 20% of is +325 mesh.

Although I like mine I am glad my stash of it has dwindled considerably. I started out with 600 pounds of it and often wondered what I’d do with it. Luckily I should be down to a manageable 50 pounds now.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Sam, it may be worth telling us what sort of height you’re getting out the tube, but I suspect that there not fully dry.
Lloyds popcorn will burn out fairly fast depending on the size of the star, I used the composition last year to test out a new rocket toolset I made and at 13mm rolled they burnt out way over the ground at 100 feet burst.
If you’re looking for a faster drying and less hydroscopic comp then you could try my PVB snowball found in AFN.
sambo

Post by sambo »

ok, that's pretty helpful Ken as a guide. I'm getting around 2s flight time I think from memory. I'm pretty sure they are just not dry but I will try the snowball also as using PVB will help solve my problem. Cheers.