PVB use in binding charcoal comets and stars

Here you can ask for advice, or even just post your favorite compositions + methods!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

flashman

PVB use in binding charcoal comets and stars

Post by flashman »

Hello guys,
I was wondering if anyone here has used PVB to bind charcoal comets and stars. How did it work for you? How much PVB did you use?
PVB works great for color and wondered how charcoal comps. work out.
Thanks everyone!
richardh08
Site Admin

Re: PVB use in binding charcoal comets and stars

Post by richardh08 »

In the past I've tried binding glitter compositions with PVB, and found that around 2 to 4% was fine. Ken's 'Snowball' uses 4%.

Some people say that the presence of PVB degrades the glitter effect, but I didn't notice much difference.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I have tested a few charcoal based comets spider web and slow gold to name a couple, I found no issues.
I pumped some comets to 1 inch using PVB at 4% and they were dry in 24hrs using IPA, glitter compositions don’t seem to effected, however using phenolic resin caused major issues.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Just to clarify a little. I have some Snowballs drying the formula called for 2%. Has than been uped a little since the printing in AFN?
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

No, Bradley, 2% is fine - it's my mistake. I took that information from an old bit of data, rather than the latest formulation.

Sorry for causing any confusion.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

All good Richard. Just didn't wanna be sharing incorrect info myself :-)

I had commented about the subject at Ned's since I had just gotten the file. Without personal experiance it's always best to follow up.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I understand Brad you have made the stars and they are drying as we speak.
One thing to remember is try not to over wet the comp, if hand pumping they should fall of the ram with the slightest tap.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

I used a star plate. I added a touch of extra wetness to compensate for evaporation and also let them rest for a bit prior to pumping. They were pretty soft still when ejected, but have firmed up pretty well. I'll cut back on moistening the next round. Had hoped the weather would have held out for a round of rolling them to, but no such luck yet.

I'm fixing to hit the road for an adventure in a couple of hours, but may take a few with me to test out when I arrive at the destination as it's a pyro adventure.