Shell pasting

Here you can ask for advice, or even just post your favorite compositions + methods!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

davidg

Shell pasting

Post by davidg »

What do you all recommend for the number of layers when pasting ball shells of 3,4,5 and 6 inch?
Currently using 5 layers on three inch,rocket launched.
biffo

Re: Shell pasting

Post by biffo »

I dunno mate it would be good to have a rule of thumb wunit, with rockets doesn't it depend on what burst you use and what you want to happen to stars, inserts ,etc size of stars and inserts, would be good to get an experienced option . B
biffo

Post by biffo »

Thinking about this a bit I'd paste the shell for a morter or gun ,enough room for the leader and a little bit for moisture expansion, I reckon that would be it. B
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Well no other input apart from Biffo.

Dave the 5 layer method works well but to be honest of late I now spike all my shells then use the maltase method of pasting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Care to share more details of the spiking Ken? How does it effect the shells compared to pasting? Sounds interesting.
davidg

Post by davidg »

Interesting Ken.
Thanks for that. Also to Biffo.
I had a general idea of biffos advice for the larger shells.
I will post some pics of them later. Cheers
davidg

Post by davidg »

This is one of my four inch shells with seven layers of pasting. Ready to finalise fuse and
attach to rocket.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Looks really nice to me David. I haven't pasted a shell yet. Which is quite funny since I'm on my second WASP ( Windman Automated Shell Paster ). I had a super stinger, but sold it to a friend so he could sell his to another friend. I now have the Hornet still in the box.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

I'm coming into the discussion late but, for what it's worth, here's my ha'porth of opinion.

Shimizu showed that, for any given required strength, the number of layers you need depends on the breaking strain of the paper and the radius (or diameter) of the shell.

In practice, using any number of different types of paper, shell content and burst charge, I've found over the years that, for a mortar-launched 3-inch shell, around 7 layers is about right for me.

The theory indicates that, to get the same strength of casing, the number of layers needs to be proportional to the diameter. On that basis, a 4-inch shell would need about 9 layers, a 5-inch about 12 layers and a 6-inch 14 layers.

Obviously, there are lots of other factors that come into play when considering the appearance of the break of shells of different sizes and with different content.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.