2" shells

Here you can ask for advice, or even just post your favorite compositions + methods!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Andibates

2" shells

Post by Andibates »

morning guys

when you are pasting a 2" shell wjat size do you paste it to?

at the mo mine are 48mm after 4 pastings the mortars are 52mm id

is a 2mm gap round the outside of the shell when its in the gun ok or do i need to paste it some more??

regards

andi
Pyrotechnician If you see me running TRY and keep UP !!
Lloyd

Re: 2" shells

Post by Lloyd »

Andi,
That's a plenty-small-enough gap. Don't paste it up any further, or you may find that with humidity changes, it could fit snugly.

Actually, you've already made it a little closer than usual. The gap is often 3-3.5mm all-around for small shells, and somewhat more for larger ones.

Just use a fairly fast lift, in order that the pressure can build up before the shell starts moving. For 2" shells, 7FA isn't too fine.

LLoyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

Lloyd wrote:Andi,
That's a plenty-small-enough gap. Don't paste it up any further, or you may find that with humidity changes, it could fit snugly.

Actually, you've already made it a little closer than usual. The gap is often 3-3.5mm all-around for small shells, and somewhat more for larger ones.

Just use a fairly fast lift, in order that the pressure can build up before the shell starts moving. For 2" shells, 7FA isn't too fine.

LLoyd
i make my own lift powder 75 15 10 milled for 3 hours then granulated and put through a 20 mesh screen i am not sure what grade that works out to be
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Andi,
That would be "fairly fast" powder. You might have to use more volume, because its density is lower than corned powder; but it should be fast enough.
Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

i also have it granulated through a 10 mesh screen aswell