Milling Aluminium

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

richardh08
Site Admin

Milling Aluminium

Post by richardh08 »

A chance question in a recent conversation reminded me that I had - a long time ago - experimented with milling aluminium. It was so long ago that I had no electronic record, but a bit of a hunt revealed my original notes. I thought it might be useful to write it up and share my findings, so here it is http://www.pyrobin.com/files/MillingAluminium.pdf.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
sambo

Re: Milling Aluminium

Post by sambo »

Richard,

this is extremely useful, even if not aiming for ultra fine Al this is useful and I'll give this ago for flitter. Just one question ? If using stearin, would this not coat the Al and in effect stabilize it from the air, so in fact opening the jar wouldn't be necessary as it would have no effect ? I don't know if there's a simple way to actually measure the formation of Aluminum oxide on the surface ?
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Although it looked like the flakes were well coated in my trial, right down to to the fine particles I ended up with, it's impossible for me to know if it was enough to totally protect them from oxidation. Since Al without its protective oxide layer is extremely reactive, I suspect it wouldn't.

I've seen videos of fine Al spontaneously igniting on being removed from a mill, so I'd rather keep on the safe side, instead of finding out the hard way that I'd made a wrong assumption.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
sambo

Post by sambo »

Sounds like a very correct and sensible answer.... I shall do the same.