TLUD

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

TLUD

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Well I never I found this TLUD available in the UK looking at the design it should last a long time unlike the rusting paint can’s I have used.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Wood-burn ... Sw1vlUwQHN
Lloyd

Re: TLUD

Post by Lloyd »

Ken,
I'd imagine that unit is optimized to burn the wood as completely as possible.

A pyro TLUD will require that you narrowly control the draw and the exit stack flow in order not to fully-consume the wood.

In addition, the pyro version usually has a 'split stack' with secondary inlets to permit burning off the gasses as they emerge from the vessel.

This serves the dual purpose of keeping things cleaner, and improving the draw further.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

To me the draw looks pretty controllable? The exit stack could be easily modified, personally I think it has potential.

I will let you know how it performs and pass on any modifications (if needed) to the forum.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

I'm fixing to hit the various sources for how people designed theirs and what benefits or problems they had.

I've got on planned I have most of the parts for that will be all stainless. I need to get some machining done on it as I want it to tear down and store inside it's self. I'll try to post a picture of almost what it will look like once finished.

Those TLUD are designed to heat and cook if I'm not mistaken. At work so not in a position to look very detailed at it, but if you could block off the air flow to suricate the burn it would work.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

As promised I finally got an image to work. This is just the basic shell of the plan. The plate on the riser tube in the picture isn't part of the build. that's one of my fuel mine mortars used to simulate with since the actual section of pipe hasn't been cut to length yet.

I'm gonna have each of the bell reducers machined to fit together since they are weld fittings now. The stack pipe will be machined too. If it goes as planned I'll be able to easily take it apart and store in the stock pot to save space.

The other plan is for everything to be stainless steel to hopefully last even if it has to do some time out in the elements a little.

Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

That’s looking real good! Is the stock pot around 5 gallon?

Looking forward to see the first cook Boo.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

It's 35 quart ( 8.75 gallons ). Cooking volume will probably be around 6 to 7 gallons on the final design. This will be plenty to service my needs for a while I'd say. If not the design would just require a new pot since all the upper sections will just slip together.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I would think that size pot would give you more than enough for research purposes, I am just looking in to what the cost would be for a stainless stock pot over here that size.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Best I can find is 5 UK gallons for £20 shipped that’s not bad and in stainless, stainless flue pipe is just a walk down the road sold by the meter, it’s starting to look like a project is underway.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Keep in mind some of the stock pots have layered bottoms which I suspect may not work as well if you're going to do the hole poking method.

The one I got is 1.2mm solid 304 stainless steel and it was around 65 in your currency ( I'm not familiar with how to type the symbol from my IPad). Not that the layered bottom would effect much with the design I have planned similar to Lloyds TLUD that will have one inlet source so I can regulate the inlet airflow for some tests as well.

The bells are weld together sch 40 304 stainless. The stack pipe will be sch 40 304 as well. These parts I want to have machined so they will stack nicely yet come apart for the storage aspect and space saving. I planned it originally to be a little heavier than necessary incase I needed to store outside any. The bells and pipe should easily outlast the pot and if I want to upscale later it shouldn't be an issue to reuse them on any size I'd personally upgrade to.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

It is coming to get her slowly with Lloyd and Caleb's help.

The pieces aren't quite finished, but they break down for storage, for some testing of a couple ideas, and testing of lengths of the stack.
IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG
A5AEABE1-8B2D-4504-9CE6-1F4479A8B065.jpeg
A9A6C61D-F5CC-436A-82DD-20A0812A6505.jpeg

I don’t recall the exact images that were originally posted, but these are of the same Parts I do believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sambo

Post by sambo »

Sweet ! Wish I had access to some of those tools, keep us posted. Sam.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

I hope my ideas don't prove to difficult and provide the answers I think I can find as well. I'll most certainly share. That's been a main part of the design idea to hopefully shine some light on TLUD designs for new people.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Looking forward to the tests Brad it looks like a nice bit of kit.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

It's part of the charcoal testing I've had on hold for far to long now.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

To revive an old topic. Did some tinkering on one variation of the build recently.

This video shows how adjusting the inlet flow reflects on the column of flame in the stack.

https://youtu.be/u00C6QAbUcU

This video shows the same as above from a different angle to see the byproducts of the burning. How clean or not as adjusted.

https://youtu.be/A2p7lIMwfKQ

This one shows where she got a little to hot.

https://youtu.be/zyKbGHPjtP8

I just thought this one was cool of the burning of the unburnt gasses

https://youtu.be/tBASj44gTWw
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Brad great post well done That was a great incite it to the use of a TLUD.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Thank you. It’s the early stages of some more detailed testing. I have another version I think we’ve discussed here before with thermocouples installed to monitor cooking temps. Now that it seems the main control in how a TLUD cooks is regulated the best threw the inlet flow the next round of testing will likely involve the thermocouples. I formed this conclusion as I had little change in characteristics regulating the stack inlet flow for the secondary burn. I could heat the cook up, but was never able to lower the temps from the original test by upper air flow.

It would be interesting to define a TLUD a little better than what most designs have that I’ve seen. On more than one occasion I’ve had discussions with people having trouble with there designs. I’ve been around various designs ranging from 1 gallon paint cans to 55 gallon drums. With cooks of chips to wood splits.

I have an experimental design I want to test as well. I had a short discussion with Lloyd on the design, but it was difficult to explain the concept via a phone call. If it tests well and does what I suspect it may eliminate many of the variables people experience when building their own TLUD’s. Or maybe it’ll fail miserably, lol

I have a slew of research papers on black powder and most of them define cooking temps to lower than my preliminary experiments showed a TLUD cooking at. However I was filtering threw some of them recently and found a reference to charcoal in black powder for fireworks that gave a higher cooking temp reference which is more inline with the temps my other TLUD was cooking at. There seems to possibly be a cooking temp variation between charcoal for ballistic BP and charcoal for fireworks BP.

Charcoal seems to be a extremely long research project that may never have an end.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Oops, I posted the wrong video on the inlet adjustment above.

https://youtu.be/47r76ymlDWU
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Thank you, Bradley! The first one just "didn't look right". That one corresponds to what I found on mine.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

I clicked something on my YouTube channel and it’s substantially more complex to navigate now. Also since I’m fairly poor at note taking I try to get plenty of video clips for mental reminders. I just grabbed the wrong one In the earlier post.