The Pyro-Gear cooperative.

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

The Pyro-Gear cooperative.

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I will be importing from one of our old suppliers some more chemicals plus some other interesting things such as Jute twine 20mm gum tape hemispheres up to sixteen inch! Case formers/ fast Visco/ effect fuse/ and tubes.

If you would like anything and would like to take advantage of a group buy then please indicate you interest below.

Please note Parlon/and phenolic resin are getting a little scarce in the UK, flitter is hard to find but I have access:
Keeping the hobby alive regards.
sambo

Re: The Pyro-Gear cooperative.

Post by sambo »

Hi Ken,

as you know I have quite a long list. :D

Is there a way of getting an idea of exactly what is possible ? Although I can put a list together I'm sure there are many things I might not think of unless they were suggested, if you catch my meaning ? And ideally with prices - I would certainly be tempted by case formers for instance. For example, I would love some antimony trisulfide but Chinese Needle. Or is the list just tooooo long ? The list I can think of is :

Fast Visco Cake Fuse 100m
Black Match 50m :lol:
Aluminium flitters
Aluminium atomised
Ungraded magnalium
Magnesium granular
Black copper oxide
Antimony Trisulfide ( Chinese Needle )
Saran Resin Powder ( I have 5Kg Parlon and 5Kg PVC - am looking at strobe stars)
FerroTitanium Coarse
FerroTitanium Fine
Rosin
Coal powder ( for changing relay Shimzu I)

Jute Twine
Likely some case formers

Without your help things would be very different.
Sam.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Your pushing me on the BM I do have it but only around 150mts the rest is obtainable and most of that I have anyway in stock, now Chinese needle is a hard one although I have antimony trisulphide 250# Saran Resin Powder is not an issue Rosin not an issue, but when you get your PVB the history book your reading from may need an update :o
sambo

Post by sambo »

Ha ha,

well I'm pretty much looking at everything and anything, all part of the experimentation. Basically I'm in for this. The Rosin is for this :

"Green Blinking"
Barium Nitrate 65%
Potassium Nitrate 13
Mg/Al alloy powder 17
Sulfur 5
Shellac "paint" 20% solution in alcohol addl. 14%
Rosin "paint" 40% solution in alcohol addl 4%
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Interesting formulation I tested it and found no green at all? Mind you it was a ground test maybe different in the air, I am not sure were in the formulation the chlorine donor is hiding.
sambo

Post by sambo »

Came from Passfire - you're right, no chlorine donor so can't see there ever being a green, most would other formulas I know of have HCB.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

HCB is hard to find, I made a barium nitrate white strobe and past the formula over to Richard for testing and I think he was impressed.

I thought it would be a good idea to see if I could bring out the green from the barium by adding some chlorine in the form of Parlon this worked rather well, the strobe rate can be adjusted by the mesh of the MG/AL, just to point out this formula is for PVB bound stars but as the PVB is on its way I think you will be doing a lot of testing very soon.

Back to the order: as your seem to be the only participant other than myself what sort quantity’s would you be looking for? Ungraded MG/AL is bit thin on the ground but I can get various mesh sizes from 60# to 1000#.

Hope to get those hummer tube samples out very soon.
sambo

Post by sambo »

Ok, I'll repost with the final amounts. I have a nice barium nitrate strobe too - I will be working on some others so i'll let you know - very interested to know that you had it working with some Parlon. BTW I do have a source of dechlorane plus, I can get 10lbs for around 100 usd. I've never gone for it, but it is there if anyone were interested..... Not sure though, not really a favourable item in many ways.
sambo

Post by sambo »

Fast Visco Cake Fuse 100m
2Kg Aluminium flitters
1Kg Aluminium atomised
1Kg Magnalium 60#
1Kg Magnalium 100#
1Kg Magnalium 400#
1Kg Magnesium granular
1Kg Black copper oxide
2Kg Antimony Trisulfide ( Chinese Needle )
5Kg Saran Resin Powder
1Kg FerroTitanium Coarse
1Kg FerroTitanium Fine
500g Rosin
1Kg Coal powder ( for changing relay Shimzu I)

Jute Twine
Case formers 2inch, 3inch, 4inch

But that may bankrupt me so much so that i'd have to significantly tone down my order ! Ive removed the BM for you too ;-)

Also looking forward to the hummers....

Sam
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

The reference to Coal powder in Shimizu changing relay:

35.00% Potassium Perchlorate
35.00% Potassium Nitrate
24.00% Charcoal (Hemp or Paulownia)
6.00% SGRS.

I think AFAIK that he used the term coal for charcoal, I may be wrong.
sambo

Post by sambo »

Yes, of course, scrap that one....
davidg

Post by davidg »

I would have loved to place an order but car repairs and multiple trips to Dublin due to a poorly
mother-in-law have left me skint this month. Oh well,next time.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

No problems Dave I am pretty well stocked up anyway, hope the mother-in-law gets better and oh don’t you just love cars!
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Looking to order some effect fuse IE: flying fish falling leaf in red green yellow silver and gold, is this something that may interest anybody?
davidg

Post by davidg »

I would take some PG
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

It’s going to be cheap Dave, just got in some fast Visco as well, I will get a final price up obviously the more we buy the cheaper it gets for everyone.
sparky

Post by sparky »

I would be interested in case formers and proper 70lb virgin kraft paper. Case formers for 3 and 4 inch cylinder shells would be awesome.
Cheers

Sparky
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Wow that’s amazing I just fished out the store 200 meters of 100 gsm Kraft for Sam, Sam also has a case former from me a 3inch I will let him pass comment on the former.
sambo

Post by sambo »

The former is V. good value for money fact and well made.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Looks like you need to PM me a price lol.
Cheers

Sparky
SwedishParaCordNut

Post by SwedishParaCordNut »

sparky wrote:Looks like you need to PM me a price lol.
To me aswell, I would also like to get the price on the case formers. :) Both 3" and 4" if it's possible please.
(sorry for my bad english, I´m from Sweden)
sparky

Post by sparky »

Hi Ken

I just wanted to check in and ask a few questions about this idea of a co-operative and what you are happy people doing on here.

Clearly you have a store and have stuff to sell and you buy in more than you need which you can then sell on and really good prices. Group buys etc.

Are you just as happy as someone on here also sharing what they might have sourced as a group buy or even selling on excess?

E.g. if I bought in a load of that Paulownia is it ok for me to use your forums to blatantly self promote and sell to others on here? I'm just conscious that this might create a few situations where there are conflicts of interest etc. You know, if someone starts offering something you've worked hard to source and they undercut you etc.

It just suddenly occurred to me that what might seem like a really good idea could rub people up the wrong way and I certainly don't want to do that.
Cheers

Sparky
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Sparky if you get the Paulownia in chips or charcoal I don’t have a problem with you selling it on the forum, my advice would be to sell it in chip form.
matt_t

Post by matt_t »

Hi,

Is advertising the sale of second hand items, for example; star/rocket tools, cardboard tubes and shell casings, permitted on this forum? Thanks.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Put up a list of what you have.

No chemicals or fuse please Matt.
sambo

Post by sambo »

Ken, how would you feel about having a separate Area for this ? You could stipulate no chems / fuse which might help clarify a few things ?

It would be great as a cooperative if we had a "club catalogue" of things we would be prepared to trade or offer to people - maybe in a secure area somewhere and your offerings could be top of the list Ken. I'd fully understand if you're not keen as with that comes a lot of other hurdles and logistical problems.

I think it would be great if someone could say, right I could do with 500g of X or 20 1lb rocket tubes, look at the catalogue and then send that person a PM to see if they would sent it out.

Sam.
mtbkobus@gmail.com

Post by mtbkobus@gmail.com »

Dear All

Have anyone heard from Ken lately. I know he was in hospital; however I have not heard from him in a while. Please let me know if anyone has hear from him the last week and if he is okay?

Kindest regards
Kobus
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Only Ken can comment on his current state of health. However, I did speak with him last week.

It was he who recently shut down access to the forum for a while, in response to a possible security issue.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.