Charcoal The real Deal

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

richardh08
Site Admin

Re: Charcoal The real Deal

Post by richardh08 »

Code: Select all

between us we have dispelled the willow myth
You discovered the charcoal. All I did was make some measurements.
Physically speaking, gas production should always be about the same.
That's probably true, within some degree of approximation. There will be some difference, depending on the mineral content, which subtracts from the carbon, but that's not likely to be a huge factor. As yet, I can't think of a simple way of measuring gas production in isolation.

The tests I've done so far with my simple mortar-style eprouvette don't really distinguish between 'the cat' and willow, despite the significant difference in burning speeds. Perhaps that's an indication that the gas production is more or less the same, but I can't be sure.

I'll have to keep thinking about it, but I remain open to suggestions.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

I was playing with the data from my speed measurements this morning, and came up with a curious feature.

I plotted the burning rate against the log of the milling time, and got the following graph:
LogRate.png
It's a remarkably straight line up to sudden break, at a milling time of 300 minutes, and very flat thereafter. I get the same result for the burn rate in g/cc, but the break seems to appear at a time of 420 minutes, right at the end of my measured data.

There's clearly some physics going on, but I'm not sure what. Is it down to the properties of the mill, the contents, or both - or anything else? Anyway, I'll write a full report and put it in 'Useful Files' before thinking about where to go next with this.

As always, any thoughts you may have would be welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I granulated some cat wood BP a few days ago ran a test today and my god is it fast! And still as black as coal? I thought it was still damp but no dry as a bone.
That graph is very interesting indeed your findings seem indicate what I was saying in that the powder becomes very very fast then flat lines interesting.
Tyvole

Post by Tyvole »

Man, I just gotta get me some o' they Geerafs and cook 'em up! :lol:
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Had a think about this charcoal, I wonder if the 75-15-10 ratio could be altered to accommodate, just about every wood I have used for BP shows a grey colour after milling this does not, almost like it wants more nitrate, your thoughts.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Yet another variable to bring to the party!

But you might well be right. There's nothing to say that 75-15-10 is necessarily the best mix and there have been varying opinions about what are the ideal proportions in the past. It could easily depend on the type of charcoal.

Also, it will certainly vary with what you want out of the resulting powder - maximum speed, maximum gas production (however you measure it) and so on.

To help save what little sanity I have left, I'm going to stick to the standard mix for my current series of investigations.
Niall

Post by Niall »

A manometer attached to a sealed box might be the way forward. Simple tubing could be used and a small weight of BP will displace a known volume of fluid in the tube. Or summit... X
All wretch and no vomit.......
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I am delighted with the results! And Richard is defiantly on my Christmas card list, I have run tests on many woods vines creepers shrubs you name it, a few tests stand out, one was Japanese knot weed (dead stalks) this was very fast along with a few others.
I am currently running a test on (cat wood) with a different formula I have ran the mill for 8hrs so far and the powder is still as black as it went in.
I have in stock.
2 kilos of cat wood very fast.
8 kilos of paulownia fast.
2.5 kilos of the tree of heaven fast.
1.4 kilos of knot weed fast.
You won’t get any of these for EBay prices but there available if you want them.
Nightsun

Post by Nightsun »

Send me a pm re: paulownia please. Interested and price. Thanks.
' I regard the earth as a courageous global experiment that failed ' QUENTIN CRISP
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Sent
pyro1

Post by pyro1 »

Pyro-Gear wrote:Sent
Me too please, bit of a crappy 1st post asking for a price, happy new year guys.

Paul.
Paul.
Niall

Post by Niall »

PM me if anyone wants a sample of charcoal to try.
Niall

Post by Niall »

Pyro-Gear wrote:A few years ago I purchased some willow charcoal 400 grams to be exact (eligibly from a major BP manufacture) anyway I kept the bag for reuse, now I have just spooned in 300grams of my willow and the bag is full to the brim? Now same size bag now filled with Paulownia 228 grams? Bulk density of charcoal anyone? By the way paulownia wins hands down very fast.

It seems you bought the same 'commercial powder' as I did, good for a barbecue if you press it back to how it originally started, in Asda.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I've made some charcoal with tobacco wood it seems very fast, Has anybody else tried it ?
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

New one on me but I would think given the growth rate it should be good keep us posted!
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Test on the tobacco charcoal 75 15 10 granulated 20cm line http://youtu.be/ySXE1zhtvkw
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

That looks like some good powder, were did you get the tobacco wood from?
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

grown from seed about four four years ago. (Golden Virginia)