My Mill

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

My Mill

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Last Saturday I decided it was about time I had a mill for myself! So I set about making one with some subtle changes mainly to stop myself selling it on, I decided to finish the base by engine turning and coating with 3 coats of lacquer gold anodised drive shafts were added and wider drive rollers it looked rather nice, next step was a short test run no problems there, I set the mill up with 3kilos of media and wired a thermo couple to the motor and hooked that up to an old lap top through a box of tricks made by a friend of mine, the mill was run up and the software indicated an initial motor temperature of 39c after one hour.
Today I stopped the mill! Completing 168hrs of constant running looking at the data from the lap top the temperature of the motor remained stable at between 35 to 37c I am rather pleased with the tests to say the least.
Tyvole

Re: My Mill

Post by Tyvole »

168 hours continuous running... I hope that you're a good distance from your neighbours! ;-)

Oh, and I bet that engine turning looks great! I made a set of electronics test equipment once that had engine turned front panels. Spiffing, it was!
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Ha it only had Dextrin in it 8-) It’s a nice effect but tedious to say the least
Nightsun

Post by Nightsun »

Mia, mine has 350 hours plus your 100 hours and runs cool and I keep it in the oven to deaden sound ( before daft remarks, it's off ) best bit of engineering I have seen in a long time, and I ran a workshop for 19 years. I did the paypal thing the other day, so how long do you think is the wait? I know you are very busy but cannot wait to see the upgrade. Thanks for your help in the past.
' I regard the earth as a courageous global experiment that failed ' QUENTIN CRISP
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Ah Nightsun yours is under construction as we speak I will do my upmost to get it to you by Friday.
Richard H yours is due out mid-week if your reading this post it just needs powder coating it runs like a dream, @Nightsun so we are talking close to 500hrs on the prototype! Amazing, and Willow you helped to make this happen by buying that prototype many thanks to you Regards PG
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Trust me, I'm reading it!
As I said, there's no rush, but I have to admit that I'm getting quite excited.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Just got mine this morning :D
My word, it's neat - and pretty! Almost too good to use.
If it works as well as it looks (and the evidence on this forum points to that being the case) I'll be one very happy bunny.
Thanks PG.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

OMG

Or, putting it another way, I am a happy bunny :D

Been playing with my new mill this weekend. I had a bit of left-over rough burst, made in my old mill, so I thought I'd do a quick comparison. Everything made from the same batches of raw materials and granulated in the same way. Both mills ran for 3 hours (but PG's mill had twice the load of composition).

As you may have gathered by now, I have a passion for (some might say 'obsession with') measurement so, this morning, I adapted an old star gun into a mortar-style eprouvette. If my sums, done (literally) on the back of an envelope are correct, the stuff made in my old mill gave a muzzle velocity of about 17m/s, compared with one of around 38m/s from PG's mill :shock:

Admittedly, that's from only one trial, but the difference is too great to be anything but significant.

PG, I doff my hat to you. I don't know how you do it, but that's one fine mill.
Nightsun

Post by Nightsun »

I gave my old mill away so it could continue its great work. I am looking forward to seeing the new one and the changes you have made. If it's better than my old one, I will be amazed. By the way Mia , the mill had 582 hours on it when I gave it away. I wonder how many more it will do?
' I regard the earth as a courageous global experiment that failed ' QUENTIN CRISP
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

It’s on test going out Tuesday to you Willow.
Nightsun

Post by Nightsun »

Many thanks.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

richardh08 wrote:OMG

Or, putting it another way, I am a happy bunny :D

Been playing with my new mill this weekend. I had a bit of left-over rough burst, made in my old mill, so I thought I'd do a quick comparison. Everything made from the same batches of raw materials and granulated in the same way. Both mills ran for 3 hours (but PG's mill had twice the load of composition).

As you may have gathered by now, I have a passion for (some might say 'obsession with') measurement so, this morning, I adapted an old star gun into a mortar-style eprouvette. If my sums, done (literally) on the back of an envelope are correct, the stuff made in my old mill gave a muzzle velocity of about 17m/s, compared with one of around 38m/s from PG's mill :shock:

Admittedly, that's from only one trial, but the difference is too great to be anything but significant.

PG, I doff my hat to you. I don't know how you do it, but that's one fine mill.
Many thanks for the feedback on my mill; I can only say it has taken 2 years to get this far and many hours of work to perfect it to what we have now.
I would be interested to know what mill you had before, I ran tests last year with a 3hr run against a beach tumbler and a borrowed Lorton plus a tumble Bee the results were constant with your findings.
How do I do it well I left school at fifteen I just had a good mentor, many thanks again your post is valuable to further production. PG
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

My old mill is a home-made jobbie, built (approximately) following the gospel according to Sponenburgh. Let me know if you would like more details.

I've been aware for some time that it wasn't fully up to scratch, but it has served me well for many years. Your mill, PG, knocks the spots off it.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Oops, made a mistake with my sums :oops:

The increase in muzzle velocity over my old mill is a lot more modest than I first said.

On rechecking I find that the correct figures are: my mill: 16.7m/s, PG mill 19.2m/s.

Even so, given that the PG mill takes double the charge of composition - and taking into account the increase in energy transmitted to the projectile - PG's mill is at least 2.5 times the efficiency of my old one.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

And fits in a shoe box.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

And doesn't get anything like as hot!
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I got hold of some thermal strips 25-38c it sits around 35c on load and pulling 15 watts about the same as your TV set top box.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Incredible bit of kit.

Sam.
Nightsun

Post by Nightsun »

It's crap for muesli though :lol:
Nightsun

Post by Nightsun »

My mill arrived today Mia . Wonderful and a work of art. Thanks again.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Many thanks I hope it serves you well.
pyro1

Post by pyro1 »

i may be in the market for a new mill, how much weight can your mills turn at 75rpm.
Paul.
Niall

Post by Niall »

8kg has been done before now!!!
All wretch and no vomit.......
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

pyro1 wrote:i may be in the market for a new mill, how much weight can your mills turn at 75rpm.
The mill can turn 8 kilos of lead for hours but basically I run 1.8-2 kilos of media and 200-300 grams of composition, not sure what mill you have at the moment? But I guarantee your milling times will be cut drastically, the mill is very safe to use it has anti-static feet and runs at 10-15 volts, regards PG
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Uh oh, I'm being corrupted from across the pond. I may lose my redneck status. I've been called a bloke once in my life by Robert Plant at a friends house a few years ago and now I have a fancy new Mill from Ken. Even though hanging out with Robert for a while was quite entertaining I do believe the mill will more than beat that experiance.

I just wanted to publicly say thank ya Ken. I like the design can't wait to get some tests running threw it.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Whoa! Tennessee boy goes INTERNATIONAL! <G>

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

I had a bet with Ken that Bradley would post something when he received his mill from Ken.

I win!!!
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Oops, sorry Ken. Hope ya didn't bet to big. Bill me on the next order if ya need too.

Richard, I'll get you on this one if the roller is as creative I'm gonna be just as excited, but will hold out till it gets used.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Ken, if you find the email I sent ya curious forward it to Richard. He may find it curious as well.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Unfortunately for me, we didn't agree a value on the bet. The victory is purely moral. :D
sambo

Post by sambo »

My interest in Ken's mill is being piqued. I could see myself falling into line at some point !
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Sambo, it's small, but some of the design was well thought out in my simple opinion. With advances over the small rock tumblers like bearings instead of cheap bushings. I really like the idea of 12v dc for remote location.

I haven't ran it yet, but have pondered a time or two already about simple modifications to accept the rock tumbler jars since I have 4 of those. I may have to pop the hood on the truck tonight just to hear it run now that the rain has stopped. I pondered a little today about the difficulty of a Ac to Dc power supply with a timer circuit installed as well.

I've been curious since I started reading about it. With the upcoming plans of charcoal testing I wanted to be able to limit the differences between my testing the the rest of the group here so the logical choice was to have a matching mill. Now that I've recieved it I think I'm gonna like it way more than the rock tumbler. I also have a rebel 17 tumbler that may win out over the new one just because of it shear size with a 5 quart jar.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Brad I am glad you like the mill, the 3 pound version is the most popular in the UK however what a lot of people don’t know is I can extend the base and shafts to accommodate a 6 pound jar using the same motor, as you say no cheap bushings the shafts run in ABEC 11 bearings.

To use an AC supply any transformer or switch mode adaptor will run it as long as it is 10-15 volts at 1 amp minimum just make sure when you hook it up the jar rotates anti clockwise.

My silly tests to date on the mill is to run it under water, freeze it to -20, load it to 8 kilos of lead, in all cases it still ran perfect after the abuse.

Your other purchase is underway I just need to get a better price on the flux capacitor. :lol:
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Since I'm still pretty new to the art I prefer the smaller mills most of the time. Ocassionally I'll do something big and use my large one. This will do great for the upcoming tests since I don't really plan to stock pile excess charcoals during the testing. One because it would be a lot of storing and two if I don't and want to revisit a material it will be educational to rebook and test at a later time.

I would certainly say those qualify for stress tests.

I'm in no rush other than the excitement to see the creativity and give a roll. I don't have any major plans to roll anything for any particular purpose. I've always rolled by hand to date and have trouble not watching the stars roll around which gives me a headache. Even with a headache I still find it very relaxing to do. The last batch I started was pretty interesting trying to roll 25 stars by hand as a test batch. It actually went quite well and I thought I had figured a couple of tricks out till I talked to Lloyd and I just accomplished what's been a practiced for ages, lol. Atleast I did learn I was on the right path I recon.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Bloody hell chaps looks like my mills are getting around http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milling-Jar-P ... Sws4JW7tKz
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Well with a design like you have why shouldn't you start to gain some fame. :)
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Couldn't agree more, Bradley.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Uh oh, it's Christmas in late March. I think my roller came in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Nice one Brad, remember when you hook it up rotation is counter clockwise.

Another one is going to Oklahoma very soon.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Used the mill today on some willow diadem comp. First impressions it preformed awesomely. I've not dumped the load yet just peaked in when I stopped it for the day. I think I need to do one more run for enough comp for the plan and I'll be able to report further.

Thanks again Ken great design.
Dave F

Post by Dave F »

Hey folks, I thought I would let everybody know how much I enjoy my Pyro-Gear ball mill. I've been using it most days lately. So far I've milled strontium nitrate, sodium nitrate, potassium chlorate, potassium nitrate, and a blend of coarsely ground phenolic resin and colorants. I've also used it to mill some pucked, corned, black powder down to meal powder. None of these items took more than an hour and a half.

I used 1/2" (12mm) stainless steel spheres for media. I poked a small hole in one of the caps on each jar with a toothpick. This helps release the air, making it easier to get the lid on. Also, it's probably not best to start milling in a pressurized environment. I put a small square of masking tape over the hole, and it's not come loose in probably 20 runs. Taking the tape off and poking the hole with the toothpick again makes it easier to get the lid off too.

I like the lightness, and the low power consumption. I run it under the hood of my car, off the car battery. This unit mills much less at a time than my larger double mill with the 5 litre jars, that's true. But, the larger mill uses a ton of electricity, and is not worth it for small batches. I like the way both caps come off the jar body. I put O-rings in both caps on mine. It makes the caps seat squarely more easily. It's really easy to clean the jar perfectly between chems, with no worries about contamination from 'stuff' hiding in the nooks and crannies- there aren't any. Having a spare jar, I can pop another load on the mill with no time lost while I empty the first jar. Ideally, I'd have a few more jars and never wash them :)

To be honest, I'd rather mill my individual chems in smaller batches with this mill than in larger batches with the larger mill. If I could only have one mill, I think I'd have to choose this one. I'm a hobbyist, and I can't see a situation where I need more than what this unit can do. 2 thumbs up!
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Some interesting irony going on look at the post dates from those of us on this side of the pond, lol.

Glad you're enjoying the mill, Dave. I can't recall using my larger mills since acquiring mine. I even loaned one of the large mills out last year.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Thank you so much, Dave, for the review I am glad you like the mill it is sort of cute LOL but it gets the job done, and as I am sure you figured out that if anything fails then a fix would cost you next to nothing.

Brad thank you for your all your work in promoting the mill you are one heck of a guy buddy.