e-match video manufacture

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

dave321

e-match video manufacture

Post by dave321 »

just came across this video on youtube,
its a pitty they didnt show how the nichrome wire was soldered on, and the comb dipping.

its the only video of its like (re ematch) ive come across.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5dg8oCEucA
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Re: e-match video manufacture

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Interesting video pretty sure I have those matches it might be worth dissolving the head and find out if it is bridgeless.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Ken,
Not for nothing, but they showed the roll of nichrome wire with which they make the bridges.

I guess they could have been showing two different lines of matches in manufacture.

'Pity... I'd have loved to see the dipping process!

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Hmm, it was funny that the operator was out to lunch, agreed the dipping would have been good to see Lloyd.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

The resistance tests seemed a little high compared to our US matches I think?

As fast as they were testing it was difficult to tell how much variance there was between matches. The one real clear shot of the finished match showed 2.315.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I wonder Brad if the combs are cut first and then moved over to the first shot of the screw and wire set up then to the stamp press to hold the wire to the comb forming a mechanical bond?
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Usually, the combs are made 'extra length' (actually 'width' at this stage), so that the bottom bar may be cut off after soldering the bridge wires.

The combs are wrapped with the bridge wires, and soldered by fluxing and dipping. After cooling, the bottom bar is cut off, leaving individual match heads with bridge wires soldered in place, and also 'pre-tinned' flanges to make soldering the lead wires easier.

Although most match manufacturers have been reluctant to show their processes, ODA Enterprises (while Octavio Aguiar was still alive) published actual vids of the matches being made. (sorry, don't have a link right now)

"Octave", as we knew him in FPAG, was an experienced manufacturer of PCB assemblies for both industry and the military. If his methods weren't sound, I don't know who's would've been!

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
dave321

Post by dave321 »

Lloyd wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:18 pm Although most match manufacturers have been reluctant to show their processes, ODA Enterprises (while Octavio Aguiar was still alive) published actual vids of the matches being made. (sorry, don't have a link right now)
Lloyd
that would have been interesting to see lloyd
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

I was kind of wondering when I watched the video why a pre tinned blank couldn’t be used. Then a block slid into a jig that creased the wire over each head and basically spot weld the nichrome wire. The mechanism could clap to a certain force to assure good contact prior to fusing the bridge wire. This way lines of heads could be done instead of one at a time. The backing rib could even be cut off while in the jig to protect the finished heads.

While I may not could build this setup personally it seems reasonably simple as far as machinery goes.

I guess though where the video appears to be shot they have more people than need for match heads probably.