i lost a reference

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

dave321

i lost a reference

Post by dave321 »

i read a reference somewhere and now I cant find it.......which is annoying, since it was an itsy bit of info that I had not come across before and found it useful to keep

it gave the reason why the roughend bits of xmas cracker snaps were origionally painted black, something to do with the Chinese copying them and also copying the black paint, which I don't think actually served a major purpose.

I hate loosing references

anyone have any idea?
sambo

Re: i lost a reference

Post by sambo »

no idea, Xmas cracker snaps are silver fulminate with small amounts of ground glass. Only reason I can think of for painting black is so you know where it is painted ?
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

I'd love to help, but that is a practice that I have never come across. Like Sam, I can't really think of a good reason.

If you do find the reference again, I'd love to know why it was done.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
sambo

Post by sambo »

By sheer coincidence Ron L. very kindly sent me a Christmas Present today which is a book by a chap called Peter Kimpton. The Book covers the history of Tom Smith's invention of the Christmas Cracker and it really is a remarkable book. I now know things I couldn't ever have imagined to know about this clever little invention.

Anyhow, by a somewhat circuitous route I have your answer, which actually comes from Paul M's knowledge of some of the original workers at the Reliance Snap Co at Bishops Stortford. The answer is as follows :

"The snaps were constructed with composition on one strip and an abrasive surface on the other, in order to avoid confusion they coloured one side black using emulsion paint. When the Chinese copied the product they even went to the trouble of replicating this, probably in ignorance, unaware of the reasons behind the design feature, the black colouring is still employed on cracker snaps to this day for no other reason!"

Merry Xmas !

Sam.
dave321

Post by dave321 »

sam,

that's it !! EXCELLENT :D , just what I was after, thank you sam you are a top man!!

how many pages does the book have ? any chance of scanning it if its not onerous ?

ill have a look on the web for copy

UPDATE - just odered a copy from amazon :)
dave
sambo

Post by sambo »

Ha, was going to offer to pass on the favour and send you a copy!
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Like with so many things, the answer seems obvious once you know it!
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
biffo

Post by biffo »

I think that's great, I wish other companies at risk of being copied by that nation would incorporate things like that,just for fun and frustration. Nice one Sam. B
dave321

Post by dave321 »

dave321 wrote:sam,

that's it !! EXCELLENT :D , just what I was after, thank you sam you are a top man!!

how many pages does the book have ? any chance of scanning it if its not onerous ?

ill have a look on the web for copy

UPDATE - just odered a copy from amazon :)
dave
well i got my copy of the book, really pleased with it, beautiful black and white and colour plates, wonderful for nostalgia and a bit of history.
for £3-36 it was a bargain, I'm well pleased. :)
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Comgrats