A Quiet 5th

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

richardh08
Site Admin

A Quiet 5th

Post by richardh08 »

For me, this was probably the quietest season that I can recall.

On Friday I gave my by now almost traditional talk at a local school. Despite my strongest efforts, I yet again failed to burn the building down!

Back to St Albans on Saturday, to meet up with my old friends in the set-up crew. It was interesting to see that the display contained a noticeably smaller amount of stuff than it did back in the day when I was actively involved. Price inflation strikes again, I suppose! I was intending to stay on and watch the show, but I started to get a bit cold and tired; then it started to rain again, so I went back home. I hear the display went well, and wasn’t seen to be any less impressive than in previous years.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
sambo

Re: A Quiet 5th

Post by sambo »

Hi Richard,

I think you're experience is similar to the situation here. I was the only one this weekend who put on a display for miles around, as with the geography here I'm usually aware of anything that goes on. I did make up for it though with some VERY large and loud salute rockets that climbed to several hundred feet and a 1 inch crackle comet 100 shot cake that Ron gave me.

didn't have a lot of time to prepare much but I put a few things together. I will start working in earnest to make everything to try and put together a 100% home-grown show for New Years.

Has C.E. marking really affected the market so much - it was clear crisp and relatively warm so I just don't know what's going on ?

Sam.
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

I was just up the road from you Richard in Liddlington on Friday at a school. Small show of just cakes and candles. Apart from this, I purposely didn't put myself down for anything else this year, I fancied a quite one. Plenty of consumer pyro fired in my area last night though
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Ben, that's barely a stone's throw from here. You should have said.

Sam, I don't know if it's because of CE marking, Brexit, inflation, the weather or anything else, but the activity around here was pretty sparse right across the weekend. Mind you, I didn't do much myself - saving it for next week's meet.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

It was a weekend for the history books across the pond. There was plenty shot to fill any gaps that may have been left on halls side. I hope y'all have an awesome shoot coming up.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Fairley quiet down my end as well but from what I did see was pretty good, there seems to be a vast improvement in the colours this year in that they are much brighter and vibrant from what I understand the majority of the fireworks are from WECO fireworks, they are very popular around here, but overall a disappointing 5th not a rocket stick to be found.

Confined to the house for the last week due to pleurisy this is my first day to get something sorted for the meet fingers crossed.
sambo

Post by sambo »

I wish I could come :-(
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

I've just found video of this year's St Albans display: https://youtu.be/kJkY-IAMnLk. Not bad, but I do wish that people would learn to turn off auto-focus when videoing fireworks.

A friend who was there commented on the brilliance of some of the colours - particularly the yellow, which he said was 'an unusually yellow yellow'. It may be coincidence, but I can't help noticing that such bright and intense colours started appearing a little while after Ken published his PVB-based compositions in AFN.