'Chore' work is depressing!

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Lloyd

'Chore' work is depressing!

Post by Lloyd »

I'm cutting 'plates' for a client today. (base plates for angle-fire comets) 160 plates per sheet, 14.7 hours per sheet.

It's not so much the time as it is the prohibition from being able to do anything else useful during that time. The machine consumes my entire power capability, and I have to monitor it about every five minutes to ensure it's still 'on track', and hasn't broken a cutter. So there's little-else I can do but just idle my time away working on 'conceptual' things while the machine runs.

But -- the good thing is, I'll be done with these by Wednesday evening. Then I can be back to work on things I want to get done. (Hey... at least I get paid to do it! <grin>)

LLoyd

And PS... I don't actually begrudge having to run these... I just wish I had 'normal' power capabilities here, so I could do other things at the same time those jobs are running on the bed-router!!
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Boophoenix

Re: 'Chore' work is depressing!

Post by Boophoenix »

I can relate a little. Spending most days riding around in circles is nearly the same. Or like Thursday sitting on a dozier going back and forth to hog up some more material as the stock is getting a little low between phases. I could have moved to another location, but it seemed more valuable to hog where I was for now. If the next phase doesn't start in the next two weeks I could be in a pickle and have to move anyway.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Tell me about it!

I've spent most of the last week slaving over a hot soldering iron, laying out my Mk2 circuit. It's another reminder that my eyesight isn't what it was, so I've been up close and personal with a 3" loupe clamped to my eye, breathing in lots of vaporized flux. It wasn't helped by my making a disastrous mistake, which ended up with the board in two pieces! Never mind, starting again from scratch meant that my second attempt ended up a lot neater.

I've got at least another day cleaning up, testing and fixing the odd inevitable mistake, like finding I'd used a 1K resistor where I intended 2K. That's down to my eyesight again - mistaking a brown stripe for a red one on those pesky little do-dads.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

"I've got at least another day cleaning up, testing and fixing the odd inevitable mistake, like finding I'd used a 1K resistor where I intended 2K. That's down to my eyesight again - mistaking a brown stripe for a red one on those pesky little do-dads."
--------------
HAH! AND... it's not helped much by the fact that AS our eyesight dwindles, electronic components get smaller and smaller (both perceptually and actually! <grin>).

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Lloyd wrote:HAH! AND... it's not helped much by the fact that AS our eyesight dwindles, electronic components get smaller and smaller (both perceptually and actually! <grin>).
Here's a case in point, with a few low(ish) value resistors:
Resistors.jpg
Left to right, they vary in date from around the 1960s to the present day. Admittedly, it's probably not a totally fair comparison as they almost certainly have different power ratings (the rightmost is the only one I know, and is rated at 0.25W).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.