Malta dates 2017

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Lloyd

Re: Malta dates 2017

Post by Lloyd »

Well, Locky,

At least you've got that big shell set up so it won't take much lift at all to get it out of the gun.

But... um... how are you going to hold it in there until the lift ignites?

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

That photograph makes it clear to me that the straps are holding the shell down!

The Maltese must have worked out how to make lighter-than-air shells, or perhaps they've discovered antigravity. :lol:
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

received_1737978469567734.jpeg
This one is me, doing the 10 x 10m relay with 8" shell of about 25kg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

FB_IMG_1504641603494.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Cool pictures, mate!
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I'm sure you noticed, but I thought it interesting how 'bowed' that shell was right out of the pipe! It tells you something about both the lift forces, but also the aerodynamic forces on such a shell.

Lloyd
sambo

Post by sambo »

your photos are always entertaining. Thanks again!
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

Last trip of the year to Malta on the 23rd of November if anybody else fancies it. Small feast in Zurrieq
Rob.L.

Post by Rob.L. »

one day when I have the funds I would love to go out to Malta and see this stuff!

Looks amazing.
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

Out of season (?) prices
Flight. £128 return
B&B. €35 night
Car €15/day (up to four people, two of us)
Evening meal €10

Two days and nights of pyro and as many factory tours as you want
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

In the end, I couldn't resist the temptation. Flight and hotel booked this morning!
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Well done Richard, have a great time :D
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

I hope to introduce you to my new mates over there Richard, and maybe their niece/nephew/'s if they have arrived in time. We might need some PPE though
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

We're back. I met so many people that I haven't a hope of remembering their names. But the weekend was memorable for a lot of different reasons, for example:
Bites.jpg
sambo

Post by sambo »

LOL

looks like a brilliant time! very jealous.
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

20171126_174015.jpg
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

20171125_133804.jpg
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

So aswell as visiting the Tigers we managed to visit St Mary's in Qrendi, St Catherine's in Zurich and St Catherine's in Zejtun. Had some demos from the Damato brothers, Kenneth Tabone and Sandro Mayor. We got to see cylinder shells up to 10" and a 16" shell of shells. I was privileged to be able to light a 6" berraq shell and a cracker string on the band club roof. As usual we had a fantastic welcome from all the Maltese.
sambo

Post by sambo »

ok, i'm definitely going to book in for one of these trips. I'll commit to that, but not when yet ;-)
Ben, are there specific seasons as such, outside the obvious, - spring time onwards could work for me if you / anyone is keen? I have to plan well in advance as getting leave is a ball-ache and a half.
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

The season starts in about April through to December. If you go to a government organized display there is stricter rules than a feast so you can't get to the setup or in the danger zone. At a feast you can generally do what you like including 'burning' a few if you want to. Also if we visit a feast it is good to visit a factory that will be celebrating soon after as their store rooms will be bulging, with last minute assembly in progress.
My recommendation would be St Mary's in Qrendi with Sean (@xanabond) on here. Last year they used 86 fire one modules and 98 firetek modules, this year they say wi be a big one as they are celebrating 400 years of the church!. We can then visit St Catherine's who will be shooting two weeks later and St Joseph's one week later.
See my new dates thread
sambo

Post by sambo »

ok, i'll check it out on your new thread mate. Think it's time to make some plans...
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

'Small' display, videoed from the band club roof, last Saturday.
https://youtu.be/EpBO64tzCbE
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Richard (if you didn't already know), yours and Ken's posts are 'sticky'. Once read, they still do not show 'unread'. One must "mark all forums read" to un-mark them as new.

I don't know if that's by intent, or just a product of the web-soft you're using.

Yours,
Lloyd
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

It's certainly not by intent, Lloyd.

I obviously don't see that with my own posts, but I don't see it for Ken's either.

Does anyone else have the same problem? If so, we'll have to look into it.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

PS... I'm running Chrome (because it might matter).
L
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Fire fox all the way,,,, Chrome hmm spying, no problems our end Lloyd all fine.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Ken,
I like Firefox best, but it only runs from one to five hours before a memory leak gobbles-up all available cache-ram. They keep claiming (on each new version) that "they've found that problem with stack imbalances", then it turns out they may have found ONE problem, but not all of them. As soon as they lick THAT (set of?) bug(s), I'm back on Firefox.

Don't particularly like Chrome's user interface, either.

Lloyd
sambo

Post by sambo »

Lloyd wrote:Ken,
I like Firefox best, but it only runs from one to five hours before a memory leak gobbles-up all available cache-ram. They keep claiming (on each new version) that "they've found that problem with stack imbalances", then it turns out they may have found ONE problem, but not all of them. As soon as they lick THAT (set of?) bug(s), I'm back on Firefox.

Don't particularly like Chrome's user interface, either.

Lloyd
I'm intrigued to know what badly constructed javascript you're running Lloyd. Do you routinely use a site that is javascript-intensive. You're right that firefox and IE are typically the most often associated with memory leaks but it's the fact that javascript allows loose syntax that is really responsible ( as you know I'm a Java fan which is a very rigid, almost verbose language ). Gotta be a lot of "bad" javascript code somewhere
;-)
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Sambo,

I couldn't tell you. I visit a lot of sites, and some of them force-feed Javascript during the sessions.

In the 70's through the late 90's, I used to be a programmer, and pretty competent in a host of mini-computer and micro-processors' assembly-language, C, and C++ (mostly under 'IX systems, but a few apps for WinBlows, too), but have no experience with Java. And except for a few scripts for my CAM system, I have not done any programming since 2005.

I did, however, disable ALL plugins in FF, and still got the same results -- so if it's Java causing the issue, then I must narrow it down to a particular site.

OTOH, Chrome never does that on any of the sites I frequent. So there must be a 'layer of protection' in Chrome against that sort of thing that FireFox doesn't possess.

Lloyd
Gp01

Post by Gp01 »

Is anyone going this year and how do u go about factory tours?
Ben Lambert

Post by Ben Lambert »

GP01, email me on benuk669@gmail.com
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Please keep the dates posted Ben for other interested members thanks.
Ben Lambert

Post by Ben Lambert »

Sorry Ken,
Officially factory tours are illegal in Malta, but I usually visit feasts in June August and September. Next year is also the ISF in Malta. As yet none of the Maltese know anything other than very vague details and not even if their providing pyro/shows ECT. I do know a certain large chinese company who have been asked to do the closing show. They are in discussions atm as there is no budget, just shipping costs.
You be also got the comp at the end of April, I'm not a great fan of this, very 'organised' and a nightmare for having a peek at the setup ECT. Then the ground fireworks in florianna in May, these are good, if you visit the site the day before you can get up close for a look.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Ben factory tours are not illegal in Malta unless it is by invite and the relevant paper work is done, you may also have a think about how I got you out there!
Ben Lambert

Post by Ben Lambert »

Oh yes Ken, I remember well. I'm sure Richard does too. Something about testing some formula for Disney wasn't it?
Since then I've 'helped' more than 20 people, all from ukfr.com, and no, I'm not asking for a medal. I just enjoy helping people, shame no one has made it from pyro gear.
I'm invited to two factories in Spain this year while out for the fallas, anyone fancy joining us?
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Richard is a Pyro Gear admin?
There are a lot of Maltese members here hence the introductions, the information migrated to the UKFR from here end of, anyway hope you had a good birthday only just seen the Facebook mail.