ShopSabre routers

A place where you can have some friendly discussion and leave some feedback about your experience!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Lloyd

ShopSabre routers

Post by Lloyd »

Any of you who do 'big pyro work', take care.

If you might be considering buying a ShopSabre bed router (new or used) -- BEWARE!

Today, I was re-rigging the X-axis limit switch to make room for some new spindle attachments. In the process, I discovered that the ONLY thing keeping the spindle mount from going right off the end of the X rails was the limit switch itself! Should it have ever shorted-out (admittedly a rare failure for MicroSwitches, but still, it happens), the whole spindle assembly would have fallen-off one end of X!

I'm making a 'positive stop' to 'positively' prevent that, no matter what.

But if you ever considered buying a ShopSabre (new or used), I'd say "don't". It's very ruggedly-built, but very BADLY designed! (And their customer-service SUCKS, big-time!)
L
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Lloyd

Re: ShopSabre routers

Post by Lloyd »

Well... a 'tough' day today on the router!

Three days ago, I have a stepper motor driver fail. I ordered an 'alternative' driver from Gecko, because ShopSabre no longer supports the machine, even to the extent of selling off-the-shelf parts for it. The new driver required a modification of the wiring and the configuration files. But it worked fine -- for about 30 minutes.

I guess the failure was caused by a power spike, because a half-hour into the 'test run', the cpu board in my control literally EXPLODED (with a bang!).

So, I spent the next three hours replacing the computer and installing Windows XP on it, because the softs won't work on anything more-recent than XP. ('STILL have to do that Mach3 replacement on that machine, so I can run any OS.)

After having done that, the machine appears to be working properly. I guess, tomorrow, we'll see for sure, because I'm routing more boards for my client!.

Man! No matter what, 'stuff' just gets in the way!

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"