Veline Parlon Rolled Stars

All Star Formulas go here!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

sparky

Veline Parlon Rolled Stars

Post by sparky »

Hi all

I have a small star roller and have not yet given it a good try out so am about to...finally...give it a spin.

I rather like the veline colour system and have previously made those rubber cut stars using Acetone as the solvent. I've heard they roll rather nicely and that PVB also works well as a binder.

With all that in mind what would you recommend as a comp for say blue and what would you use as the wetting spray?

E.g. Red is: Potassium Perchlorate 30, MgAl 350# 30, Parlon 15, Strontium Carbonate 20, Red Gum 5

If I wanted to roll them as is what solvent would I use? 50/50 mix with water?

ALso if I wanted to try PVB in there would I simply swap out the Red Gum and use PVB in equal amounts and then is it IPA/Water 50/50 for the spray?
Cheers

Sparky
Lloyd

Re: Veline Parlon Rolled Stars

Post by Lloyd »

Sparky,
All the Veline colors are meant to be rolled with water as the primary solvent, and a little added alcohol as a wetting-agent, if necessary.

The Veline blue isn't startling, but it's acceptable-enough that you should master rolling it first, before you get on with other more difficult-to-roll compositions.

Truly, if you've not rolled before, you have a "learning curve" ahead of you before you'll be completely happy with the results. I would't go "messing about with the formula" until you've mastered the rolling part with formulae known to roll well.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Tyvole

Post by Tyvole »

Sparky,
I haven't used the Veline system myself - there's the disclaimer... my understanding is that Robert Veline invested a great deal of time and energy trying to come up with a system of colours that were compatible/sympathetic to each other in terms of brightness and colour intensity. He achieved that difficult and worthwhile goal, allowing shells with stars in multiple colours used together, without any particular colour being overwhelmed by any other. However, don't expect his recipes to yield the brilliance and colour strength of, for example, the parlon rubber stars you have tried.
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I agree. The entire purpose of Bob's system (he's a member of my US Florida club) is to make a "blendable" system of colors that are chemically compatible and luminosity-compatible.

He never has claimed (fortunately <G>) that his colors were "the best".

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Tyvole

Post by Tyvole »

With regard to the learning curve Lloyd mentioned, it may be best to avoid trying to roll charcoal-rich stars until you have some experience - just so you're not frustrated/disappointed. It seems they can be tricky... I pump mine. ;-) Oh, and don't worry too much if your stars sometimes come out with 'goosebumps' - the raspberry effect. They will probably still work just fine and may even light more easily than perfectly round ones!
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"