Strobe stars

All Star Formulas go here!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Jme86

Strobe stars

Post by Jme86 »

Hi I'm new to this forum and I was was wandering if anyone has made successful strobe stars! I've done some research but couldn't find a great deal about them! I would like to give them a go, but s bit confused because allot of stuff saying about treating aluminium or magnesium with potassium dichromate or linseed oil or is it safe to use magnalium untreated! If anyone has tried these could you share your successful compound mixtures and how you went about making them, would be very grateful! Plus I can't seem to find potassium dichromate for sale in uk! Thanks James!
davidg

Re: Strobe stars

Post by davidg »

Hi James. For pot dichromate you could try ebay or atom scientific in south manchester.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

davidg

Post by davidg »

Jme86

Post by Jme86 »

Thanks for quick reply I'll give some a go! Trial and error, I'll try upload a video if there successful! Gonna need to order more comps! Better not tell the misss :?
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Mind how you go experimentation with experiential formulas can cost you a fair amount in chemicals if it fails, take a look at your other post I gave you a formula for silver, now with a little manipulation using strontium nitrate and a little chlorine donation you can make a reasonable red strobe.
Tyvole

Post by Tyvole »

Experimentation can potentially cost you a lot more than the chems! Please let us know your level of experience - it will help us to gauge our responses to your questions better. It seems as if you're quite new to this hobby?
Yankee Flashing Stars are almost a 'standard'. It's a strobe star that flashes white. I suggest a minimum size in the 6 - 8mm range plus prime if you want multiple flashes.
Potassium nitrate 40
Aluminum (325- Mesh, Atomized) 20
Sulfur 10
Dextrin 5
Boric acid 1

Note: Measured in parts, of course, not percentages. I've made them once, in a small 100gm batch without using any nasty dichromate and didn't have any issues*. Beyond that, I can't advise! Apparently, for nitrate/metal mixes, some folks choose to dissolve the boric acid in the water first, rather than adding plain water to a dry mix. They suggest that it's more effective that way. Personally, I haven't tried that so I don't know which is better.
* The only time I have had a mix heat up from what I now understand was an amide reaction was with zinc-based Granite stars. Being a beginner then, these were my first ever stars; I didn't have any boric acid at that time and it wasn't mentioned in the comp list. Again, it was only 100gm and only got warm, so I continued mixing but kept spreading it out to allow the heat to escape. Made me nervous though...
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"
Jme86

Post by Jme86 »

Hi tyvole thanks for the formula! I'm waiting for some boric acid and I'll give them a go! So am I right or wrong in thinking if I add grams to the end of the comps on th formula I can make a 76g batch and add if I need to? Forgive me I'm learning and didn't do the best at school! They should of done a firework course I might of payed attention!

I've always loved fireworks since a child (firebug) I even had my mum getting firework posters from shops for my bedroom! I can't remember when shells were legal! Can barely remember my dad buying a Chinese firecracker and painting the garden red with it! Must of been about 16 years ago now!

It was early last year I came across a video on YouTube of an American kid showing how to make a ball 3" ball shell! I thought if he can do it so can I! So i looked for pyro supplies and came across Oliver brown! I purchased what I needed and couldn't actually believe I managed to get all the materials! Like a kid at Christmas when I got my delivery! My first shell fired no problem at all! Very happy! Was a thee things I done which I shouldn't of but now I have more understanding of it! I've just perfected my bp after about 10 attempts! Turns out I wasn't drying my nitrate before milling! Was over the moon when I lit it after doing it properly! So I haven't really done allot ! I'm definitely a beginner nothing like you guys on here! So glad I joined! I've made 3" then a few 4" and I've done 1 6" with red Parlon stars! Burst could of been bigger though! But still nice! And I have a 6" ready to paste with tiger tail stars! And I bought small rocket tool and made a few successful launches after a few sketchy attempts! Was sort of hovering then shooting quick, turns out I needed to add more nitrate!

So that's my experience, sorry to bore some of you lol and excuse the spelling! But I've got loads of ideas and quite a bit of stuff ready! So will be busy busy! I'll try put some videos up, do I have to do it through YouTube! Thanks James