Veline Sytem

All Star Formulas go here!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Aardvark

Veline Sytem

Post by Aardvark »

Afternoon folks,

I hope you've had a good start to the year so far.

I'm looking at rolling a few comps and have been thinking about starting with the Veline system.

I have a few concerns: Are all the comps suitable for rolling? Also, my MgAl is 250# but I suppose that'll just speed the reaction along more rapidly (Not always a bad thing as fallout is a bit of an issue).

I'd also like to sub the dextrin for Phenolic resin if that's possible? Would that be at the same 4%?

As for method - Is it a case of just screening the comp together then using the usual 75/25 spray?

And lastly, what prime would you guys suggest? I don't have the chemicals listed for the Veline prime but I've posted a little list of my current stock in the 'Useful Files' sub-forum.

Thanks chaps!

Sam.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Re: Veline Sytem

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Blue
Potassium perchlorate 55
Red gum 6
MG/AL 250# 5
Cupric oxide 14
Parlon 14
Phenolic resin 7
Water alcohol mix 50/50, all chemicals must be very fine and integrated best done in a zip lock bag, rolls Superb
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Great stuff :D

I'll have a go at that tonight Ken. What kind of drying time would you expect at 45 in the dehydrator? (If safe to do so).

Thanks mate,

Sam.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

4-5 hours then left over night there fine, I will post up a green later for you, I would start rolling with at least 300grms of powder nothing worse than running out half way through.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Okay will do.

As I only have one mill jar/set of media; which chemicals am I safe to mill? Considering the same jar is used for BP. Obviously no metals.

The only part of that comp that isn't very fine is the pot perc. Is that safe to mill with the other non metallics then zip loc the metals in afterwards?

Cheers!
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I normally wiz mine (POTPERC) in a coffee grinder, you can mill it but make sure the media is spotless along with the jar, watch the phenolic this can contain lumps as well.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Well, here's my first attempt. I'm pretty happy with the results but definitely want to get some mesh and size them. Rolled very easily!

My only concern is the difficulty cleaning the drum afterwards... My gosh. Any tips?

Do you suggest I prime these Ken?

Cheers!

Sam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

They look fine! Cleaning the drum hot water only, that picture was so big my band width will have to be addressed! Prime I would use Pin ball or BP with 5% silicone, nice work there buddy
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Oops! Won't upload directly from my iPhone again. Sorry about the ridiculous picture size.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Not sure hot water alone would have shifted that :( had to use a very weak alcohol mix. Unbelievable how solid that layer was.

No silicon so what does pinball prime consist of bud?
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Never mind! Looks like I need to purchase some silicon.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Hot water will shift it no problems, BP and 2% MG/AL will work as a prime on these stars.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I suppose leaving it to soak would do the job.

What kind of thickness of prime should I be going for? Can't wait to test one!!! Again, my thanks for your assistance so far mate.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Prime around 1mm, hot water will work fine let soak for a while it will come off.
Niall

Post by Niall »

For future reference a plastic spatula can be used gently and slowly to lift the comp of the barrel. Moreover, once your stars have hit your sizes or you are finished adding comp, make sure your roller is safe and secure, then walk away. It will continue to work and start to pick up the excess comp.
All wretch and no vomit.......
Niall

Post by Niall »

As for the veline system, the entire range rolls beautifully. Not tried with phenolic yet, but I imagine good if not equal results.
Tyvole

Post by Tyvole »

@Niall, Re new signature: I'm curious about your personal definition of 'daring'. ;-)
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"
Niall

Post by Niall »

Risk rather than gamble.

Risk can be mitigated, a gamble loses everything.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Beautiful!!! Sized out some 8 and 7mm stars - stunning :D half the weight of one of my cut Parlon stars yet double the burn time.

Rolling's where it's at :D now to prime and roll some larger stars for some 4" shells.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Glad you like them I made up the formula some time back when OB got in the phenolic resin, there rather nice in the air as I expect you will find out very soon.
Niall

Post by Niall »

Just be careful using PG's recipes. Some of them can give your soul a rash.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Primed and drying now :D

Any chance I could have that green Ken? I've got some nice blue cores that I could roll onto for a nice effect. Although... I suppose similar colours would probably wash each other out.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I will dig the green out for you, if you want to go blue to green use a colour changing relay in-between you have all the chemicals for that I will do a calculation on the green for a 100gram batch then you can fire up the roller.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Over the blue cores roll to 1mm.
81 potassium perchlorate
13 red gum
6 phenolic resin.

Next the green
Potassium perchlorate 29
Barium nitrate 26
Barium carbonate 12
Parlon 14
MG/AL 10
Red gum 3
Phenolic resin 6
Again a 50-50 mix of water alcohol mix.

Or blue to yellow (these things jet)

Potassium perchlorate 44
Cryolite 14
Magnalium (200-250 mesh) 29
Parlon 6
Red gum 2
Phenolic 5
Rolls well and Prime is just BP
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Thanks bud. I do believe you emailed me that relay so I've got that. Look forward to having ago at a green then getting a video or two up to demonstrate the power of a PG roller :D
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Ahh fantastic.

No Cryolite unfortunately so I'll have to look into that. Blue to green will be a nice test for now!

Thanks bud.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Cooper man has it
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I'll order some up.

I plan to roll the blues up to 6-7mm, relay up to 8mm then green to 11-12mm for 4 inch shells. With a blue-green, would that 2%MgAl/meal prime be sufficient?

Also, as Barium Nitrate is a touch hygroscopic, what would be a safe method of drying it before use? I am extremely cautious (petrified) of poisons and their effects so would like to avoid any potential hazards.

Thanks Ken! Really rolling now :)
Niall

Post by Niall »

As long as the barium is finely divided, it can go into the mix already damp. Drying will occur post process.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I over-wetted those blues whilst priming and softened them to the core. They're pretty much starting the drying process over. I'm concerned about the time it's taking... Am I best to use the dehydrator just to evaporate the majority off then let them 'set' at room temp? Or leave them in the drier for as long as possible?

Thanks folks,

Sam.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Never mind! After being left to 'set' for a while, they're hardening nicely :)
Niall

Post by Niall »

Initially they will soften as you put more heat energy in. Best left overnight at around 30 to 35degC as not to soften them too much and allow the process to be gradual and avoid cracking.