Rolling?

All Star Formulas go here!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Aardvark

Rolling?

Post by Aardvark »

Afternoon folks, I hope you all had a merry Christmas!

My fiancée kindly purchased one of PG's star rollers as a present for me and so far so good! I've managed to roll some silver stars on mustard seed cores.

If anyone has the time, would it be possible for you to have a quick look at the 'Skylighter Rainbow' guide. http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how ... -stars.asp

I have most the chemicals listed and was wondering whether, with a little tweaking, I could roll them instead? Of course, acetone is out of the question so I'm unsure of how to achieve a good result.

Many thanks in advance folks,

Sam.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Re: Rolling?

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Ok let’s forget about the rainbow stars, let us know what is your first colour you want to make, I am online best part of the night to help.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Indeed! That's what I'm hoping to do. I only really mentioned that to give some idea of what I have in stock.

Anything to be honest! A nice red and green to start would be nice. My only worry is, other than FeTi, my metals are very fine.

I'm all... eyes!

Thanks bud,

Sam.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Thinking about it.. Any fairly simple to roll comps suit me! Preferably something able to withstand a hard break and with a decent burn time. I'm thinking mostly for 2.5's but may also scale up to a 4".

Let me know and I'll make a little shopping list.

Sam.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Quick one do have strontium nitrate? Or carbonate?
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I've strontium carbonate bud but can order up some nitrate if it's essential.
Nightsun

Post by Nightsun »

Try carbonate. All the strontium. Nit. Has been bought damp as it is very hygroscopic. Had to dry it in a warm oven on an aluminium sheet until it was dry. It took 2 hours. Makes nice reds though with a little magnallium for brightness.
' I regard the earth as a courageous global experiment that failed ' QUENTIN CRISP
Niall

Post by Niall »

Sub 5-10% red gum for dextrin in carbonate/nitrate rainbow/parlon formulas for rolling. Dry on low heat for extended period.

Just for anyone interested in how to modify for rolling. 50:50 solution water:alcohol to start 75:25 as it starts to pick up.

Ball mill carbonate/parlon/red gum/dextrin (no carbonate in nitrate mixes) in dedicated comp jar with dedicated media, for one hour.

Remove media, tumble airfloat KClO4 in for 30, also any nitrate if used. Tumble in mgal for 5 mins thereafter.
All wretch and no vomit.......
Niall

Post by Niall »

Veline comps are excellent for rolling too.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Veline is great it could be improved but yeah love the formulas
Niall

Post by Niall »

I agree it could be improved. But he does concede the colours are matched in a way that allows them to be mixed to any colour in the spectrum, and I get that now. But for standalone colours, they are not show pieces! They deserve their own little range of ball shells in a display though! Just to show off the range.