davidg

Granite (Zinc) Stars

Post by davidg »

Potassium Nitrate 22%
Charcoal(pine or vine) 12%
Sulphur 4%
Dextrine 2%
Zinc powder 250 mesh 60%

Mill all EXCEPT the metal for 45 minutes. Remove ALL media from mill,add zinc and mill for 10 minutes.

Pyro-Gear Mill charged with 1.5Kg Lead media and 300gms ceramic.

Make up a solution of 8% Boric Acid
Make a 70/30 mix of Boric Acid solution and IPA to wet the mix.

Best pumped or possibly cut. Tried to roll these and had a lovely mess so resorted to pumping 1/2" comets instead.
Tyvole

Re: Granite (Zinc) Stars

Post by Tyvole »

Don't forget that these are heavy stars, so you'll either have to use fewer stars or more lift in a shell or mine.
"If you don't learn anything, what's the point?"
snipperfizz

Post by snipperfizz »

I really like these stars! The green-blueish color these stars produce is really unique, kinda looks like wildfire from Game of Thrones. If fired when there is not too much wind these leave a really cool smoke pattern which gets illuminated by the green light.

I'll try to get some footage of these in flight, as there isn't much floating around on the web.
snipperfizz

Post by snipperfizz »

I think I just ruined a batch of these bad boys...

This morning I made some and I put them out in the sun to dry. When I checked on them just now I noticed they all had a white powder coating. I took them inside and then I saw a nice cup of boric acid on the workbench which should have been added to the mix. Luckily they haven't ignited themselves or anything, but still a waste of chems :cry: