Tiger tail stars

Post by Niall »

Tiger Tail

44 KNO3
44 Pine Charcoal
6 Sulphur
6 Dextrin

Ball mill for a minimum of an hour.

I'm working on variations of the same formula. I usually ball mill the KNO3, Sulphur and Dextrin for over an hour before considering adding the charcoal. Then I add it in increments to get various sizes of charcoal.

Variations:

Add varieties of proportions of Ti or FeTi or low mesh charcoal, or all three. Keep the total metals added below 10% of the weight of the comp you add it to, this is mandatory as any higher may alter the mixture's sensitivity disproportionately.

To mix in metals and pine charcoal, move the milled mixture to another barrel used for tumbling comp, with media removed.

Never contaminate your black powder barrel or media with metals.

Roll around mustard seed or other cores for great tail effects. Priming not necessary but a dusting of BP is a good idea.

I roll a metal tiger tail to make cores, screen out a 1/4" group of cores then roll tiger tail without metal to make a good pattern! This can be done with the buttered popcorn effect nicely too. Also, Mia's Electric Cryolite yellow is a good core to compliment these effects: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=55 . The combinations are limitless as these effects give great substance to smaller breaks.
All wretch and no vomit.......
coalman

Re: Tiger tail stars

Post by coalman »

After a quick calculation I discovered that this recipe is based on BP. Take 10 parts 75:15:10 and add 1 part dextrin and 6 parts charcoal.
Done.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

So it is!

I suspect that this observation gives an insight into one of the ways that people come up with new formulae.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Niall

Post by Niall »

I admit I had to stare at it for quite some time until it clicked!

Signs of a brilliant mind?
All wretch and no vomit.......
coalman

Post by coalman »

Signs of laziness and a job in data analysis . I wondered if it could be done and used a spreadsheet.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Wow what a mixed bunch we have on this forum we now have a data analyst, sounds like an interesting job?
coalman

Post by coalman »

It used to be. Can get boring on repetitive jobs.