LONG HANGING GOLD GLITTER

All Star Formulas go here!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

biffo

LONG HANGING GOLD GLITTER

Post by biffo »

This is formula from another site posted by Pirotex,called long hanging gold glitter and I love it it's cheap and easy and looks great. NAN03 47% CHARCOAL AF 40% SULPHUR6% DEXTRIN 7% + 10% MGAL 50/70# I cut the dextrin to 6% and added 1% PVB .wet with water and IPA mix and leave in sealed container for an hour then cut.maybe they could be rolled.enjoy B
Boophoenix

Re: LONG HANGING GOLD GLITTER

Post by Boophoenix »

At first glance it looks real fuel rich to me, but I'm no expert at all and forgot to stay in a Holliday Inn in a while. I bet it does have an extreme hang time with that large mesh and what appears to be a slow burning formula to me. I was pondering on a slow effect like this recently for a competition at an event, but got side tracked and wasn't able to make the event.
sambo

Post by sambo »

How do you find they dry ( and stay dry ) in our climate B ?
biffo

Post by biffo »

I know what you mean about the NAN03 is supposed to take water from the air,that's part of the reason I added the pvb but it seems ok.I had some from a place I worked at in a plastic tub with no desicant in a fairly damp out house which I expected to be clumping together and damp but it wasn't half as bad as I thought ,they say the purer it is the better. I like this effect Sam it's worth a try.regards B
sambo

Post by sambo »

ok thanks, i might just give it a try. I'll need to recrystallize my technical grade sodium nitrate first...
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

One thing I would say regarding the PVB, it highly unlikely that it was dissolved if it was any water would be driven in big time.
So just a thought why not dry the sodium nitrate plus the charcoal totally remove the dextrin and add 3% PVB wet with IPA and pump or roll, you may find Biff you have a star to call your own ;)
biffo

Post by biffo »

Thanks Ken I'll give it a go,this is one I'll make again because of the unusual effect,when I lit one on the ground to see if it was dry the glitter crackles which also makes me smile.regards B
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

well I suspect the reason it crackles is due to the 50/70 # Mag/AL.
Sure give it a go the glitter compositions are an area that we have not covered fully using PVB as the binder so any information and feedback would be appreciated.
sambo

Post by sambo »

got my sodium nitrate in the dessicator so I'm on the case.
biffo

Post by biffo »

Go for it Sam, I don't know how pirotex put his comp together but I put coal pvb and nitrate in the ball mill for about an hour then screened in the rest and wet.in a rocket header the glitter reached to the floor from the burst.good luck B
biffo

Post by biffo »

I've a note to add to the above now some time has passed and the weather's not so great,after checking on my remaining few stars I've noticed that the prime has been crumbling and indeed they have taken in moisture.Oh well it's a lesson but I will still try with Kens idea and see if there is improvement.the effect I like a lot so I'll persevere a bit longer ,any results with a purer nitrate yet Sam?.regards B
Dave F

Post by Dave F »

Pirotex pumps them and does not prime them.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

That’s true, however the formulation is a little like a Russian dish cabbage and egg pie total shi* but what works for you.

I can think of a better slow gold that will keep.
biffo

Post by biffo »

Any formulas that can make an effect the same or similar gratefully received.Thanks B
Mixer

Post by Mixer »

Pyro-Gear wrote:That’s true, however the formulation is a little like a Russian dish cabbage and egg pie total shi* but what works for you.

I can think of a better slow gold that will keep.

Damn, that was funny Ken :lol:
biffo

Post by biffo »

Looks like some more input from across the pond,do you think pumping or not priming the stars would make much difference Dave? Regards B
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

OK try Kyle Kepley’s gold streamer:
44 potassium nitrate
44 charcoal spruce/ pine
15 Ferro titanium 40-325 mesh
6 sulphur
6 Dextrin.

You could try the 50/70 mesh MG/AL in place of the titanium just a thought
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Winokur 19

50.00% Potassium Nitrate
20.00% Sulphur
10.00% Charcoal (Air float)
10.00% Magnalium (granular, -200 mesh)
6.00% Sodium Bicarbonate
4.00% Dextrin
biffo

Post by biffo »

Thanks Ken the winkour 19 is a favourite of mine I'll try the other one though.regards B
Dave F

Post by Dave F »

Biffo, I do think both things will make a difference. I think re-crystallizing the sodium nitrate would make a difference too. That said, I've never made them. Pirotex makes some very good rockets and shells. I'm going to follow his lead on the glitter and see how it works for me. I think I can keep a shell dry :) Maybe I'll use silica gel in the interstices between the pumped stars, eh? ;)
I'm just waiting on the sodium nitrate, and have to make the magnalium yet.
biffo

Post by biffo »

Good luck Dave I personally thought the effect quite unique see what you think ,I'd appreciate any tips you might come across.regards B
sambo

Post by sambo »

Im interested to see what this effect is like out of curiosity. I watched the videos and it looks impressive. I have my nitrate recrystalised and dried so I'll let you know.
Dave F

Post by Dave F »

I made the formula as instructed by Pirotex, and it worked perfectly. I also think it has a unique look, but I don't have experience with a lot of glitters. With 'regular' gold glitters, the tail is goldish, but with white flashes. With this glitter, the tail is very gold, and the flashes appear to be gold as well.
https://youtu.be/wiCvPR2rl-w
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Very pretty. I like that a lot.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
GuyFawkes82

Post by GuyFawkes82 »

What size rocket was it in that video? , those glitter stars look great is that the same mix at the very top of the post ?
Thanks
Chris
Dave F

Post by Dave F »

I made the formula as posted by Pirotex on his YouTube video. I used a 25% solution of alcohol in water to dampen for pumping. The rocket was a 19mm nozzleless BP with Lancaster yellow glitter delay. It's easy to see how MUCH more yellow the stars are.
biffo

Post by biffo »

Liked the video Dave nice one.biff