Barium?

Safety First! Precautions/procedures and equipment.

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Aardvark

Barium?

Post by Aardvark »

Barium Carbonate BaCO3 to be precise.

Due to its poisonous nature, what extra safety precautions should I be taking when making parlon based stars with BaCO3?

The composition in question is: (parts in 100)

Potasium Perchlorate KClO4 - 30
Magnalium - 30
Barium Carbonate BaCO3 - 20
Parlon - 15
Red Gum - 5

Solvent - Acetone.

These will be cut.

Of course, as I am using Acetone, I will be outdoors wearing a respirator. Other than the usual precautions, how else can I maximise safety during the manufacturing process? And are there any dangers when drying? They will be placed in a warm (if I can find one!) breezy place to dry.

I've made a batch of red parlon stars and they're stunning! Would like to compliment them with a green.

Thanks guys,

Sam.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Re: Barium?

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Most barium compounds are very poisonous, especially the more soluble barium compounds such as the chlorate and nitrate. A dust mask should be worn at all times when working with barium carbonate. Unlike its soluble cousins which can be easily washed from the hands with lots of water the carbonate is not so easily removed and care to remove the powder from under finger nails is important before eating etc. Barium carbonate is soluble in stomach acid, and therefore a poison by ingestion.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Thanks PG, valuable information there.

Whilst adding Acetone, is Barium Carbonate and issue with regards to vapours? Or solely if ingested.

Thanks again,

Sam.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Ahhh, I see that it is not soluble. Never mind!
Nightsun

Post by Nightsun »

After mixing compounds including making BP , I finish with a bath and a hair wash. Remember underneath your nails and nostrils. I have always had a skin reaction from nitrates and this to me always prevents it starting. On the question of acetone, I have posted already it's nasty attributes on vapour and skin defatting which left my friend who used it a lot, with permanent angry patches on his hands.
Last edited by Nightsun on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
' I regard the earth as a courageous global experiment that failed ' QUENTIN CRISP
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I definitely see where you're coming from with ensuring your nostrils are clear. It seems that no matter how careful I am, I always come out of the workshop feeling like I've been treating them like rocket tubes!