SMELLS!

Safety First! Precautions/procedures and equipment.

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Niall

SMELLS!

Post by Niall »

A quick warning to you all.

If you smell a pungent smell coming for your compositions: feel them for warmth, break them down into small lumps and get them outside until they are dry and safer. Research your ingredients and see if a further risk of self decomposition is likely.

If this is from rolled stars: move the stars outside and research as above.

If the stars are dry: move them outside and do as above, though consider disposal.

Metals and nitrates pose a risk, especially aluminium with water and any nitrate. Magnesium and nitrates. Magnesium should be treated in a parlon/pvc/dichromate solution prior to use, in any case. Chlorates and sulphur or ammonia etc.

There are combinations that do not combine! Aluminium and nitrates can be stabilised with a small amount of boric acid. Copper, copper salts and water are to be avoided unless your composition is proven or you have researched the solubility of the salt in water.

This is not exhaustive by any means, but a rule of thumb is that if you smell an unpleasant and perhaps unknown odour, take the necessary steps as laid out above.

Research your chemicals prior to mixing and processing. Safety first, finance later. Be ready to abandon your hard work if necessary in order that you can stick around until you get it right!!
All wretch and no vomit.......
Pooksta

Re: SMELLS!

Post by Pooksta »

When I made winokur 20 there was a strong smell of sulfur like rotten eggs but when I felt it it wasn't warm to the touch was that normal. That was the first time I made it I'm going to make some more next week.
Niall

Post by Niall »

What is the recipe?

What solvent were you using?
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

The rotten egg smell (sulphur dioxide) is fairly common a lot depends on the quality of the sulphur rubber makers sulphur is the best (very low acid) one tip don’t use tap water get distilled I use this for everything that needs water in the formulation.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Niall wrote:What is the recipe?

What solvent were you using?
48.00% Potassium Nitrate
17.00% Sulfur
12.00% Magnalium (granular, -200 mesh)
10.00% Charcoal (Airfloat)
5.00% Sodium Bicarbonate
4.00% Iron (III) Oxide
4.00% Dextrin
Niall

Post by Niall »

Yep, as Mia states. Magnalium is not such a problem. Expect some reaction and a smell off the high sulphur content. Distilled water is best, as you know roughly what is in it.

The thing with smells, there are several you are looking for, which is useless info until you recognise them! So play it safe, leave stars in a safe place until you are happy that the smell is routine and benign.

Going to try that recipe tomorrow!!!!!
Pooksta

Post by Pooksta »

Thanx for the info will do that I was using tap water and alcohol.
Niall

Post by Niall »

Sorry for panicking over smell! It occurred to me nothing had been posted about smells, despite you probably already knowing this. I'd never forgive myself if it was a bad type and something went wrong.