New 15mm rocket tool.

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

New 15mm rocket tool.

Post by Pyro-Gear »

This new tooling uses a 150mm long tube, as you can see it has four rammers plus extraction bar making it ideal for pressing! This motor has a far longer duration than the older model and can lift some serious pay loads, price at the moment is £48 with free P&P I have 15mm x 150mm tubes in stock so no problems there I hope you like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidg

Re: New 15mm rocket tool.

Post by davidg »

Looks good. I will take one of those please.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

sold out now more in soon, right let's do some testing!!!
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I have run a few tests now on this motor and I have found the tool very tolerant regarding BP my standard 60/30/10 works great but I thought that I would see how far I could push the motor, I normally mill for around 20 minutes but on my next batch I ran the mill for 1hr then did some thrust tests and obtained some interesting results.

Basically my results indicated that the motor is very capable of lifting a 3inch shell to a good height! another little test I done was to wax the inside of the tube basically I sealed the bottom of the tube with some strips of PVC tape then poured in some hot wax and emptied the tube back in to a saucepan this gave just enough time to coat the inside of the tube, you really notice the difference when pressing the motor believe me.

I hope those people that purchased the tooling are happy? I would possibly like a little feedback as I intend to have more sets made very soon.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Have not had chance to try mine yet, I'm having some building work done and my pyro hobby is on the back burner for a while.
davidg

Post by davidg »

I too am delayed in testing this tooling. I need to finish some building work at home as well. Once that is done then back to normal(whatever that is)
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

I finally got round to trying the tooling - wow!

I made a new batch of 60/30/10, using a reasonable pine charcoal, milled the mix for 1 hour and added 2% oil. The matching tubes that Ken supplies are extremely good quality and I was able to hand-ram one of them, without any need for an external support.

Feeling somewhat whimsical, I knocked up a quick header - using a new (to me) and untested (by me) construction - and filled it with a mix of as yet untested stars and some granulated BP as the burst charge. The header weighed close on 100g and the all-up weight at take-off was around 170g.

Not knowing quite what to expect, I added a long fuse, lit it and stood well back. I needn't have worried; the thing took off like a ...er... rocket. I estimate that the header burst at a height of around 150 to 200 feet.

I'm hugely impressed by the performance and can thoroughly recommend this tooling. I'm sure Ken is right in saying that it's capable of lifting a 3-inch shell.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Great to see your test was successful Richard, I remember my first test without a header and the height was incredible the motor certainly packs a punch.
It would be interesting to know what your untested header was made from?
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

OK I will raise the game just lifted 266grms and it never even complained height 190-230
absinthed

Post by absinthed »

Hi I don't suppose you still have any of these sets left do you as am looking to buy a set to start making some bp rockets and this looks great
Oh and a shed load of tubes ☺
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

15mm with the new tooling http://youtu.be/-Bvfv_IpljY
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Now that I like! Tiger tail to blue very nice effect, what size header was that?
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

2 1/2inch header total weight 172g stick was a bit bent it was spiralling at the apogee
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I can’t seem to get this rocket out my head tiger tail to blue! What an amazing effect the tiger tail was awesome fantastic trail on the star and the blue was rather nice more information please André
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

They were rolled around your blue cores, Niall's tiger tail formula to about 10mm and a spoonful of dragon eggs in there as well.
pyro1

Post by pyro1 »

Lovely Rocket Starfire , nice effect .
Paul.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Thanks Paul and Ken