Rocket sticks

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Pyrojunkie1

Rocket sticks

Post by Pyrojunkie1 »

Hi all, new member here.

I currently need some help on being able to find the wooden sticks for rockets, I have tried ebay and many stores but still can't find anything applicable. They need to be 1 metre in length and 5mm in width (square cut). Any advice would be great, thanks very much 🙂
Lloyd

Re: Rocket sticks

Post by Lloyd »

C'mon, Junkie! Garden stakes will work! If not, cut your own. They're quick and easy to do on a table saw.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Pyrojunkie1

Post by Pyrojunkie1 »

I understand, but garden stakes aren't made of wood and don't look right, I want to keep everything professional and not make anything a hazard. They're dangerous when hitting the ground.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I don't know where the heck you live, but here, nearly any good garden centre/home centre will sell both the plastic-coated steel rods AND the square wooden stock. Here (Florida, USA), Home Depot sells 3/8" x 36" basswood sticks. That's a tiny bit short of 1 metre, and a bit more than 9 mm square. But I think you'd find 5 mm to be too small for that length (too flexible).

So... if they're not carried by anyone in your vicinity, why not cut your own?

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I have rocket sticks they are Chinese but nice and light how many you after?
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

One other thing 5mmX5mm is rather small as Lloyd said, this size stick I would use on something like 10mm motor so it would be helpful if you told us your rocket motor size.
Pyrojunkie1

Post by Pyrojunkie1 »

The motor is inside of the rocket tube itself, the rocket is long in shape. It has no head on it or anything, it's just long. It's 9 inches in length and 1.1 inches in diameter. Thanks for your replies guys.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

I don’t fully understand what you’re saying but a motor of that size would require I stick at least 13mm X 13mm or more good luck with that one!