Protecting exposed tools

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Lloyd

Protecting exposed tools

Post by Lloyd »

I encountered a hint on-line about how to protect 'outside' equipment. (don't remember the link, it was on a machining forum)

I have a NEW bench vise mounted on a short section of old power pole that is outside the fully-enclosed portion of my shop. It's 'under roof', but pretty-much exposed to weather in this open work barn. I was worried about its rusting (like the old one did). So I looked around for solutions, and found this:

I took an old tee shirt, and impregnated it with enough clean engine oil to make it only 'slightly' oily to the touch, but fully-impregnated. I used a combination of oil and some mineral spirits to limit the amount of actual oil in the fabric.

After the min-spir dried, I draped it over the vise. It's still porous enough to 'breathe', but it repels moisture. After five weeks in the 'open', the vise hasn't rusted a bit! Light wind-blown rain mist has fallen on the covered vise twice, and still not a sign of rust.

This might help some folks who have tools exposed to outside humidity, but who want to preserve them.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Re: Protecting exposed tools

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Good call Lloyd I will be trying this as the WD40 works but leaves a patina on the lathe no rust but yours sounds a little less expensive.