first 1 lb whistle rocket.

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

fredopyrox

first 1 lb whistle rocket.

Post by fredopyrox »

hello guys , i want press my first 1lb whistle rocket whith my 1lb super bp core burner tooling,i have a 4tons bottle jack but i don't have gauge and press this whistle scares me a little,do you think i can press hard?i want press 1lb whistle rocket,do you think with my 4 tons bottle jack i can do it? can i make a bulkead with clay like black powder rocket? thanks a lot
richardh08
Site Admin

Re: first 1 lb whistle rocket.

Post by richardh08 »

It strikes me that this question has been waiting a long time for an answer. But don't expect a definitive answer from me, as I'm not greatly experienced with whistle.

I believe that whistle that includes petroleum jelly or some other mineral oil is not highly sensitive to friction, so pressing it with a hydraulic jack ought not to be particularly dangerous, provided you take normal precautions. However, without a gauge, I think it would be very difficult to press the increments uniformly, as there is very little feedback on the force you are applying. Something like an arbor press would give you much better feel.

With regard to your last question, I believe most people don't press a clay bulkhead on whistle. I'm not sure what advantage you would get.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Richard,
Caleb Kessinger (Woody's) has produced a delightful tool that allows the pressing of a delay and a clay bulkhead with a 'passfire' hole, while preserving the cleanliness of the hole.

So, it's possible to press a 'header fuse' aperture without the risk of failure to pass fire from the possibility of clay getting onto the bottom of the hole.

And this works with whistle.

I agree with your statements. ANYONE pressing whistle with a jack needs to take the time to add a pressure gauge to that jack. It's a little laboursome, but is technically simple to do, and adds immense insurance to the performance of the items pressed with it.

It's a full-length article I participated in with Ned on FW.com.

If using an arbor press, one should add a torque wrench as a handle, rather than relying on 'feel'

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
zmuro

Post by zmuro »

You can use my PtFo gauge that shows pressure applied if you use arbour or hydraulic press. You can use it for rockets, star plates, inserts,...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colour_the_sky

Post by Colour_the_sky »

zmuro wrote:You can use my PtFo gauge that shows pressure applied if you use arbour or hydraulic press. You can use it for rockets, star plates, inserts,...
Could you tell If there is nice tutorial for such a thing ? I am searching for something like that to build a press with a car jack.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

To be clear, Zmuro, such a gauge shows only the down-force on the ram, NOT the PSI on the composition. You still must do a bit of math to figure out how much pressure you're applying to the comp.

Lloyd
Colour_the_sky

Post by Colour_the_sky »

Well, I could make something with an arduino and digital pressure sensor math included to read the PSI directly.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

You could, yes. OR you could just make a plastic overlay for the gauge for each pressing mold that showed the PSI on the composition!

KISS, is my mantra!

Lloyd