Mill spec update.

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Mill spec update.

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Ok new rollers high grip:
High grip anti-static feet
Auto self-level shafts
Rotation speed increased by 7RPM
Power supplier now 100 volt -240 volt for overseas customers
Boophoenix

Re: Mill spec update.

Post by Boophoenix »

Oh man! They get better? You're gonna make me order another aren't ya?
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

NO, Bradley! Ask him for an "upgrade kit", just to irk him! <grin>

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Oh, that might be rude. Those wonderful people across the pond might not like us being finicky. Lol

I'll need a second one or even a backup before long. I'm fixing to break down and down grade my charcoal experiments I wanted to do to something less complicated and fire them up. That's been sitting on the burner long enough it's getting about time to get started and the season is about to get right to do some harvesting for a fall to spring comparison.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Here is a picture of the upgrade Guys sure you have them in the USA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Well looks like the mills made it to the USA, good reviews on fireworking.com

https://www.woodysrocks.com/store/c15/Ball_Milling.html
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Caleb ( owner of Woddy's ) has harped about how much he likes it everyday since they've arrived and used it everyday as well. He took interest after DaveF got his earlier in the year and harped about the wonders of it.

Ken, these are a wonderly designed piece of equipment that function awesomely. For those that look at the photo and are in doubt the three I know of in use in my little circle are all highly valued. I loaned out my 5 quart modified mill once I received my Pyro-Gear mill last year.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

:D Thanks for the kind words Brad, I will be running off another batch but this time I will be using satin black on the base plates as I was not too happy with flat black.
I think that I would be inclined to use 6 pounds of media 7 is a little too much in my opinion, personally I run 5 pounds of 10mm lead in my own mill and had no problems milling 3-4 hundred grams of powder in 3-4hrs Ned makes a good point about adding the BP first then the media.
Another post I looked at asked about alternative power supplies sure you can run the mill on something as small as a motorcycle battery it will run for days as the motor only draws 15 watts.
Anyway thanks again for your kind words and also making it all happen in the USA.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Pyro-Gear wrote: Anyway thanks again for your kind words and also making it all happen in the USA.

Thank you so for the great design and working with us on getting some on this side of the pond. We need more creative designers for pyro.

I'll pass that info along.

I actually use 5/16" ( 8mm ) stainless in my own mill. I have 3/8" ( 9.525mm ), 1/2" ( 12.7mm ), 1 1/4 ( 31.75 mm ), and another around 14mm all in stainless. Even though it's just spark resistant clean up to move to the next project is so much easier. Along with the bonus of not contaminating single chems with lead. I do have lead as well, but seldom use it.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Pyro-Gear wrote:good reviews on fireworking.com
With all due respect to my good friend Lloyd, those comments are a bit more like what I would term 'rave' reviews!

I have 2 of Ken's mills (both pre- pre- all the significant updates) and I've never been happier with any other bit of pyro kit.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Huh? Ken wrote that, didn't he?

Lloyd
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

...and Caleb, and Randy, and AndyH ...
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I guess I'm confused. How did my name get on the 'list'? (just slow on the uptake today, I guess...)

L
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Lloyd, maybe that is a reference to post 3 in this thread where we teased about upgrades?

I recon we need to send you one as well. I do believe you might would find it quite handy at times as you get back into the hobby side of things. Since time is money milling isn't often very practical in commercial applications I wouldn't think.

Hint hint Ken! ( send me a bill )
Merry Christmas Lloyd! it might be a little late to arrive though, lol
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Lloyd, it was my attempt at humour, with reference to your post on another thread that my 'hot' primes article was getting 'rave' reviews. Those comments were lukewarm when compared with what is being said about Ken's mill.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

"Since time is money milling isn't often very practical in commercial applications I wouldn't think. "
----------------------------------
Ken,
That's correct, for almost all ordinary compositions. We bought everything we could in fine particle-sizes as-delivered.

However, there were some things that required milling, and the time just became part of the ending price of the goods. One of the things that positively required milling was that hyper-flash material I've discussed before.

The metal fuel already came in 2u particle size, so thankfully the final mixture did not require any size-reduction. But the oxidizer was ordinarily -200+325, and needed to be milled down to approximately two microns, also.

There were a few other things we made that would benefit from milling one or another of the components. We never milled explosive mixtures.

Lloyd
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

richardh08 wrote:Lloyd, it was my attempt at humour, with reference to your post on another thread that my 'hot' primes article was getting 'rave' reviews. Those comments were lukewarm when compared with what is being said about Ken's mill.
-----------
Yes, but at the time, the reviews on your article were "rave reviews". It's all 'relative'.

LLoyd
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Fair 'nuff, Lloyd. At the time, I was quite pleased that the article even got a mention.