Help needed

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

biffo

Help needed

Post by biffo »

Hi can anyone suggest the dimensions needed for a one pound or 3/4" rocket tool with a parallel spindle using whistle as fuel,I have the use of a lathe at present and would like to knock one up.many thanks Biffo
Lloyd

Re: Help needed

Post by Lloyd »

I'm not certain what you mean by "parallel spindle". All 'full-length' spindles should have at least a half-degree taper, in order for them to be extracted with reasonable ease.

Typical spindles run in the range of 33% to 50% in diameter of the tube i.d. at the exhaust end, and taper slightly toward the forward end.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
biffo

Post by biffo »

Thanks Lloyd that's what I was after. Regards B
biffo

Post by biffo »

Lloyd my bp one pound tubes are 7and 1/2" long could you suggest a typical length for spindle and tube using whistle fuel ie is the delay the same as for bp or does it differ .many thanks B
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

I've never built whistle rockets except in 1/2" tubes for line rockets, so I can't help you with that one.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

It depends on what whistle motor you want to build IE: long winded screamer/ standard/ or pusher, you will indeed need a taper on the spindle in my opinion at least 2 degrees.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

I don’t have much experience with whistle rockets; the only tooling I have is Ken’s 10mm set, which works well with either fast BP or whistle mix.

Not being able to resist, I just had to run a few sums on how it might be scaled up. Assuming a proportionally increased burning surface suggests that, for a ¾ inch (19mm) tube, a cylindrical spindle should be about 9mm in diameter and about 20mm long. As Lloyd mentioned, a tapering spindle makes it easier to extract, and such a spindle should be a bit longer – say, 25mm.

However, that doesn’t take into account that when you double the dimensions, areas go up by a factor of 4, but volumes (and hence weights) increase by a factor of 8. That would suggest that a modestly tapering spindle should be twice as long, or around 50mm in length.

Bear in mind that these arguments might be pure fantasy on my part. However, a brief search of FW.com revealed a description of a couple of spindles that someone used on whistle rockets of this size. The first - said to be for a 'slow screamer' - with a diameter of 6mm and a length of 28mm, is somewhat smaller than my rough calculations would suggest. But the second, described as giving ‘more power’, has a diameter of 8mm and a length of 67mm, which makes it a bit larger than my result.

So, no guarantees, but it looks as though these dimensions are not too far away from what is needed. I hope that helps.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
sambo

Post by sambo »

I have a Firesmith 3/4 inch long-winded screamer set I could potentially take measurements from.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
biffo

Post by biffo »

Thank you gentleman for all your help,and yes Sam the measurements would be useful for comparison .Regards B