Star plates

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Boophoenix

Star plates

Post by Boophoenix »

Gonna have to get caught up soon. Just got a fresh new set of small star plates that'll need some using soon.
IMG_0250.JPG
I'm gonna have to get me some image editing software one of these days soon. Sorry about the big file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richardh08
Site Admin

Re: Star plates

Post by richardh08 »

Very pretty!

But I agree, the picture is a bit big. You don't need anything more sophisticated than MS Paint to make them smaller.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Is that a black match machine I see lurking at the back?
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Richard, I can resize them on windows easily. My favorite program for such was Irfanview since it did an excellent job of that and even had a batch resize option. I currently use all apple equipment and prodominently an IPad. I haven't looked hard but I don't think Irfanview supports Apple :-(

Yes Ken, that is correct. The lower right hand corner is a slightly modified chicklet pump for square stars.
richardh08
Site Admin

Post by richardh08 »

Pyro-Gear wrote:Is that a black match machine I see lurking at the back?
I do believe it is! Ah I see Bradley got in before me!

Furthermore, I suspect that someone called Caleb might be involved somewhere along the line.
Even when I'm wrong, I'm convincing.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Ah ha fixed it a little. Not to my liked no but better for everyone else anyway.

Yes sir, that's all Caleb's handy work there.

Funny thing is I've never owned a large toolbox before now I have one with 4 times as many pyro tools in it as regular tools, lol. I probably own more regular tools, but I'm reluctance to remove them from my truck to put them up in a tool box. I always find myself needing tools away from home.
biffo

Post by biffo »

Very nice Boo,square star plates .I'm gonna have to have a go at making one ,what are you making with yours? Regards biffo
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

They were inspired by the master rocketeer TR himself. I haven't tested it yet and this version is slightly modified from TR's design. The outer corners are cut away to give a better fit around the circumference of the casing is the hopes. I haven't tested it yet and certainly wasn't my idea.

I just started pumping stars when I tested the crackle. I've always only rolled before. So I'm still getting use to pressing formulas.
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
biffo

Post by biffo »

Neat that's the sort of thing I hope to make, how do you eject the star once it's been pressed with that tool Brad? Regards biffo
biffo

Post by biffo »

Oh sorry got it you are holding the tube through which the oblong shape passes.ok mate thanks B
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Biffo, that is correct. That chicklet pump is actually TR the rocket master here in the US. If you've ever seen any of his shoots you'd remember who he is. He makes some of the most meticulously built small canister shells lifted by rockets I've ever seen.

The plate in the front right of the tool box drawer is mine. It'll do 8 at a time.

Just in case someone hadn't seen TR's handy work here is a short clip and google has a slew of video of his artistry

https://youtu.be/gTpG8IXvo2s
biffo

Post by biffo »

Yes Brad you are lucky to have been at a tail gate talk that he did,he's a precision engineer in two or more fields I think ,I hope you have the same results with the new tools.that is just along the lines of what I want to make,I was hoping to do one in perspex / acrylic for about six stars. By the way have you seen Pirotex's rockets he makes some nice effects with what's available to him. Regards B
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

I don't believe I've seen his. Sounds interesting. I get pretty inspired seeing others works of art.

I sure wish I had way more time and better focus. So many things going on these days it's hard to stay focused on any one thing for long. That causes me to drop the ball a little sometimes in some testing. Ken and Richard are developing faster than I can keep up. I've got a batch of stars made up half even primed and ready to test from one of Kens developememts and haven't had the opportunity yet to get them into the air.

My small work area is getting super cluttered since I made two shipping containers storage. Took on a second new hobby recently that really ate into that space, but meshes well with this hobby. If I could just block out the needy customers and friends I'd have enough free time and could relax and build I'd think. Luckily for me Lloyd hasn't expressed that sentiment to one of his needy friends ( me ), lol.