presure gauge

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Andibates

presure gauge

Post by Andibates »

hi folks

can any one point me to where i could buy a presure gauge in the uk
to go under my rocket tooling
so i can see how much pressure i am putting on the powder in the tube with my half ton press

regards

andi
Pyrotechnician If you see me running TRY and keep UP !!
Lloyd

Re: presure gauge

Post by Lloyd »

Andi,
If I may...

The use of a 'simple' pressure gauge on your hydraulic line is enough!

With the time spent to do a dead-simple spreadsheet for each i.d. mould you use, you can easily convert 'line gauge' pressure to 'applied pressure'. You need only know the pressing cylinder's i.d. and the mould's i.d., and the rest is just arithmetic (not even 'higher math').

Besides, almost all of the so-called "pressing gauges" for sale, only tell you the FORCE on the mould. You still must convert to PSI-on-the-powder yourself!

I'll be glad to give you the formula to do it, if you wish. Why buy an expensive tool when a really inexpensive one will do the same job with the same accuracy?

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

Lloyd wrote:Andi,
If I may...

The use of a 'simple' pressure gauge on your hydraulic line is enough!

With the time spent to do a dead-simple spreadsheet for each i.d. mould you use, you can easily convert 'line gauge' pressure to 'applied pressure'. You need only know the pressing cylinder's i.d. and the mould's i.d., and the rest is just arithmetic (not even 'higher math').

Besides, almost all of the so-called "pressing gauges" for sale, only tell you the FORCE on the mould. You still must convert to PSI-on-the-powder yourself!

I'll be glad to give you the formula to do it, if you wish. Why buy an expensive tool when a really inexpensive one will do the same job with the same accuracy?

Lloyd
thanks lloyd

but the press that i use is a manual press not a hydraulic one
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Andi,
By "manual", do you mean you apply pressure DIRECTLY to the mould with only a mechanical lever, and no hydraulic jack? Or do you mean you have an hydraulic jack which you 'pump' to get the force?

If you use an hydraulic jack, then Ned Gorski (with my humble assistance) put together a tutorial on how to add a pressure gauge to a commercial pump-jack, and how to measure what the piston diameter is.

"Manual" can mean a number of things. I HAVE several truly manual presses (so-called "arbor presses") -- and hydraulic ones by 'jack', and hydraulic ones by electric pump and valves.

All the hydraulic ones operate on the same principal; only an arbor press would not be suitable to this method.

Lloyd
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

Lloyd wrote:Andi,
By "manual", do you mean you apply pressure DIRECTLY to the mould with only a mechanical lever, and no hydraulic jack? Or do you mean you have an hydraulic jack which you 'pump' to get the force?

If you use an hydraulic jack, then Ned Gorski (with my humble assistance) put together a tutorial on how to add a pressure gauge to a commercial pump-jack, and how to measure what the piston diameter is.

"Manual" can mean a number of things. I HAVE several truly manual presses (so-called "arbor presses") -- and hydraulic ones by 'jack', and hydraulic ones by electric pump and valves.

All the hydraulic ones operate on the same principal; only an arbor press would not be suitable to this method.

Lloyd
hi lloyd
i use a half ton arbor press
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Andi, if y'all don't have a local vendor in the UK give Caleb a Hollar. He's a pretty good guy and does ship across the pond.

http://www.woodysrocks.com/store/p86/Pr ... auges.html
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

Boophoenix wrote:Andi, if y'all don't have a local vendor in the UK give Caleb a Hollar. He's a pretty good guy and does ship across the pond.

http://www.woodysrocks.com/store/p86/Pr ... auges.html
thanks boo
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Ok, Andi. If you use an arbor press, then, shy of putting a torque wrench on in replacement of the handle, you'll need a pressure gauge.

Please understand, I'm not 'arguing', just trying to find you simpler solutions. But it looks like you need one or the other above.

(A torque wrench in replacement of the handle 'bar' can serve the same purpose)

Lloyd