3/4 inch whistle

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

davidg

3/4 inch whistle

Post by davidg »

Experimenting with an OB Tool that I cut down I have made a couple of 3/4" whistle rockets to test later.
I have tried a couple of different ways to press the fuel. It is difficult to remove the rammers when pressing to 8000psi so on one I attempted to o do a single fill. Well what a great mess that made when I removed the spindle. At the top,nice compacted fuel. At the spindle endalmost totally loose fuel only lightly compacted.
So to my next attempt tomorrow,three increments of 25 grammes each. Here's hoping this one works as it is intended. I am generally pretty patient but with undoing the support after each increment of fuel to remove the rammers (and yes,tubes are waxed) then retightening it,the production of these is slow.
biffo

Re: 3/4 inch whistle

Post by biffo »

Dosnt the fuel compress down Dave? I've only filled 15mm tubes with this stuff and that's slow going ,in the limited experience I've had I think 3 increments might be pushing it,I'd start with double that,but I'd like to know how you get on.regards B
davidg

Post by davidg »

It compresed to a point when I used a full fill but even allowing adwell time,I was expecting the pressure to drop as the fuel consolidated. That didn't happen.
Anyway I will try different increments and see what happens.
davidg

Post by davidg »

Well,I tried at 25g and it was poor so dropped it to 15g and got good compression.
Tried to fire it but there was very little thrust. Nice long whistle though. RTS showed that the OB Tool
was about right when shortened for a standard whistle. Well it was fun trying.
The 15mm tool that Ken supplied was great tonight. Lovely straight and fast flight.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Dave was the tool my 15mm whistle conversion set for the old OB or my BP set I made some time back, I fired 30 tonight on the BP set not one fail video’s to follow, all the rockets were testing PVB and crackle we have been working on over the last two years, results were stunning.
davidg

Post by davidg »

Hi Ken,the 15mm was the conversion for the OB that you supplied. Absolutely flawless performance with it.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

A little on track here's a six pound strobe rocket with Sali whistle a friend shot at FPAG this weekend.

http://youtu.be/pJyb3OgSwFM

He also makes a pretty nifty spindle removal tool.

http://www.woodysrocks.com/store/p126/S ... _Tool.html
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Neat rocket Brad, Dave what about a maltase style press https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RCB43i0RYw
davidg

Post by davidg »

If I had the room that press would be great.
As it is I will have to stick with the twelve ton hydraulic press. It works great.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Darn, Boo!

Travel all night, and still posting pix at 5am? WOW! You have more stamina than I do.

That was a great shoot, and Woody's rockets were spectacular. I had a great time, happy to see you, and it was great to meet Woody.

LLoyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"