Looking for rocket tools

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Andibates

Looking for rocket tools

Post by Andibates »

Hi guys
I am looking for a 3/8 inch and a 1/2 inch rocket tool I did have a lovely brass set but they despaired when my house was broken into

Bet they have no idea what they stole and weighed it in for some drug money

I can't seem to find any for sale in the UK any help would great

Thanks you in advance
Pyrotechnician If you see me running TRY and keep UP !!
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Re: Looking for rocket tools

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Hi Andy I had a check of my store to see what I had tooling wise, unfortunately I don’t carry any imperial other than a ¾ set and I have around 20 sets made up.

However I do have a good equivalent in metric that may be suitable:
10mm set in stainless X 4
15mm set in T6 aluminium hard anodised spindle 20 sets.

Tubes are available for all the tooling.
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

If the tube fit is tight the 10mm might be pushing it a little for a 3/8" ( 9.525 mm ) tube. While a 13mm may work for a 1/2" ( 12.7 mm ) a little better.

If there is no conflict of interest and it's acceptable to bringing up another tool supplier from the US that may ship to the UK I can offer you a suggestion. I don't wanna get myself into the doghouse, :D
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Brad the tooling and tubes all come as a set, the 10mm and the 15mm are my suggestion for an alternative to the ½ inch and 3/8.

The only way you’re going to get ½ inch and 3/8th in the UK is if I custom make them, or as you say import them from the US.

Here is my price list.
10mm set £15
15mm set £25
¾ set £ 35. 8-)
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Nice pricing Ken.

I assumed he had tubes from another source to be asking for our crazy measuring system sizes and not metrics. If your tooling is as nice as the mill and roller that I ordered from ya they should be pretty nice. Atleast y'all seem to name them by size we do that a little, but more often than not they are called by ounces or pounds which baffles me at times.

It reminds me of the newer guys talking about fuel mines by diameter of tubes. I've shot a fair amount of these and diameter is fairly unimportant as We've used up to 6 foot tall tubes. There are some tubes on the market sold as five gallon tubes and the same diameter we shoot 30+ gallons out of.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Brad I think if I remember the ounces and pounds thing was to do with how many musket balls the tube would hold.

Thanks for the complements, I will try and dig some pictures of the tooling out but since we shut the company down most of them have vanished I figure I could take new ones, imperial size tubes are still available in the UK but are on the decline due to the fact we had to have them made by the thousand by a UK company and that cost us a lot of money and not something I would be doing again.

The switch to metric made things a lot more economical for us as I can have tubes made to a very high quality for peanuts from Poland.
sambo

Post by sambo »

I'd definitely go with Ken's tools. Despite importing from the U.S. they are what I use most as those are the easiest to find tubes ! I.e. Ken has a ton of tubes at very good prices.
biffo

Post by biffo »

Carnt beat those prices anywhere Bargin..B
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

Thanks for the advice guys I thought that all of the tubes that I had where imperial as I was given a bin bag full of tubes by a friend of mine

By the luck of the draw I just grabbed one of each size out of the bag and they turned out to be two of thirty imperial tubes the rest of them are 10mm and 15mm and the rest are metric
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

Can I have 10mm set please Ken
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

Sure I will sort one out for you.
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

I have sent you a pm Ken
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

I have sent you a pm regarding payment Ken can you give a price for the tubes you mentioned
As I looked in the pyro gear shop and could not find them there

One other question for you chaps where do you guys get your rocket sticks from??

Sorry to ask so many questions
davidg

Post by davidg »

Andibates wrote:I have sent you a pm regarding payment Ken can you give a price for the tubes you mentioned
As I looked in the pyro gear shop and could not find them there

One other question for you chaps where do you guys get your rocket sticks from??

Sorry to ask so many questions
Questions are welcomed here so no apologies needed. For sticks,I use a table saw to make mine.
You can buy 3/6/9/12mm pine from timber merchants but that can be
expensive.
Pyro-Gear
Site Admin

Post by Pyro-Gear »

For something like the 10mm tooling search candy floss sticks on EBay they work very well, above that then it is a table saw, Canadian standard lumber (CSL) is excellent for this purpose.

I do get asked for rocket sticks the problem is the shipping once you get over a meter it gets a little expensive.

As Dave said questions are not a problem, well not on this forum anyway.
Andibates

Post by Andibates »

Thanks guys I was looking on eBay at the green wooden plant sticks I think they are bamboo but the come in 12 24 and 36 inches do you think that they would do the job for the 10mm and 15mm rockets when I eventually progress to the bigger rockets I was thinking it would be a table saw job
sambo

Post by sambo »

Green wooden plant sticks work well. For 10mm you can also use kebab skewers and cut off the point.