nozzleless rockets

Black powder or Whistle let’s talk rockets!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

biffo

nozzleless rockets

Post by biffo »

I made a couple of nozzleless rockets on the OB 15mm tooling over the weekend,as per skylighter instructions ,they flew well and can lift quite a load apparently, does anyone else make these on any bigger stuff? Regards B
Lloyd

Re: nozzleless rockets

Post by Lloyd »

Oh, my! Yes they make them larger!
A lot of US pyros make them in the 6lb size.

(38mm inside diameter)

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Boophoenix

Post by Boophoenix »

Biffo, you're in Dave Fosters territory now. He's been tinkering with them since I've been involved in pyro. He has also put great effort into pushing the limits of what's doable with them to the point he hit diminished returns with some BP propellants. His original goal I believe was to lift more than they normally do which Inthink he acomplished.

I've tinkered with a few rockets, but I tend to be cheap with them and stick to 1/2" ( around 13mm ). I have various other tooling to put to use when that devil bites me some day.
sambo

Post by sambo »

1lb is the biggest I have done nozzleless and they're within the 100g rule. With tube waxing i've run 1lb rockets @ very hot 75:15:10 with the nozzle still on - but you have to be careful not to wax the nozzle and blow it out.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Sambo,
I don't recall if you posted that statement in the argument that is going on in FW.com regarding nozzled "straight BP" rockets.

The mere fact that you've done it is significant!

Lloyd
biffo

Post by biffo »

I like the simplicity of it,and the nice shiny bp nozzle impression ,they are supposed to be hard to CATO so that's good as well.I've recovered some tubes from where I was working which are 6lb size they had stretch wrap on them originally.They must be quite impressive when they fly,B
sambo

Post by sambo »

Lloyd wrote:Sambo,
I don't recall if you posted that statement in the argument that is going on in FW.com regarding nozzled "straight BP" rockets.

The mere fact that you've done it is significant!

Lloyd
No I didn't, I seem to have missed that thread. Sometimes I struggle trying to keep up with the 5 forums I read :-D

which thread is it?
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

It's in the "Relaxation Theory" thread in the Rocketry forum. Mike S said it would be impossible to build a cored, nozzled rocket with straight Goex Meal-XF.

<shrug>
Lloyd
sambo

Post by sambo »

Ha ha - that's hilarious. I hadn't made the connection and thought that was some kind of Zen buddhist type post and never looked at it. Brilliant ! I have about 60 posts to read now.

cheers