Smoke machines

All Recipes and Chemistry!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

Locky Smith

Smoke machines

Post by Locky Smith »

Does anybody know if you can get coloured solutions for bubble machines?
Thanks
Lloyd

Re: Smoke machines

Post by Lloyd »

Locky,

A bubble's film is so thin that even heavily-dyed solutions end up looking 'clear' (water white) when blown into free-flying bubbles. Colors can show when 'suds' are made, but aren't distinctly-colored in single bubbles. The only colors that show are mostly from constructive interference of light in the water film.

There are solutions that are loaded with UV-excitable dyes, and will fluoresce upon exposure to strong UV light. They're not of much use in a lighted environment, but look pretty in the dark.

I've done presentations where we had 55-gallon 'bubble machines' for large ballrooms. It's a sort of 'independent art' in its own sake.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

Thanks Lloyd for your time, I apprecite you have a lot on at the moment.
Ok, maybe another angle. Can you get coloured smoke fluid for smoke machines, or could I add something to the fluid.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Locky,
There are a few 'colored smoke' fluids, but they give paltry pastel shades, barely more-colored than 'white'. AND they have a tendency to incite allergies to dyes in the people breathing the mist.

The conventional wisdom is to make white smoke with a non-toxic fluid, then play colored lights upon it for the color effect. And be aware that some folks react badly to breathing smoke fluids, even if they are rated as 'non-toxic'.

There's no easy and practical way to do what you wish. REAL colored smokes are particulate smokes (rather than mists) of strong reflective dyes. And they are VERY toxic.

Lloyd
"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Sixty Years"
Locky Smith

Post by Locky Smith »

Thanks Lloyd. I recently worked on a Project at the Olympic Stadium for the West Ham football match. As their song is 'forever blowing bubbles' we were looking at colouring the bubbles to suit their strip. Thanks for the info mate