Strontium Nitrate

All Recipes and Chemistry!

Moderators: richardh08, Boophoenix, Lloyd

sambo

Strontium Nitrate

Post by sambo »

This typically is either as the tetrahydrate or the anhydrous form. They have completely different melting points and decomposition temperatures ( different by several hundred degrees ) - I'm after a quick poll to see to what lengths people go to in the "preparation" of their strontium nitrate. Kentish talks about preparation of the anhydrous form by boiling in it's water of crystallization.
biffo

Re: Strontium Nitrate

Post by biffo »

I'm lazy Sam not any preparation usually, but if I was to prepare it ,it would be to dry and grind it finer.B
sambo

Post by sambo »

Thanks Biffo,

I have raised this before but the more I look into the chemistry I have never had a satisfactory explanation. It is usually available in the anhydrous form, although I imagine mixed with the tetrahydrate. Some formulas state it can be wetted, if this is the case it would revert to the tetrahydrate and 4 molecules of water is a hell of a lot of fuel to waste and potential for ionic interaction.

If it doesn't give up it's bound water of hydration until > 100 degrees then simply drying over gentle heat for a few days or hours is not going to dry it. Some refer to chloride contamination as a culprit which makes sense as strontium chloride contains 6 molecules of water as the hydrate and doesn't give up its water of cyrstallisation until > 300 degrees.

I have taken half a mole of strontium nitrate ( of whatever form I have ) and have left it out. I'll then dry it properly and re-test and see.
biffo

Post by biffo »

I would be interested to see what you come up with Sam. B
sambo

Post by sambo »

Biffo, I think I have this one settled. Just give me a few days to put this down on paper but basically high grade strontium nitrate ( I include the strontium nitrate that Ken carries and that O.B. carried in that category ) is not of a hygroscopic level at which we need to concern ourselves and, in my case, is of the anhydrous form, not the tetrahydrate. I need to do a final chloride test and I am running a test in my dessicator with it vs ammonium nitrate that I'll keep you posted on.